More than 80,000 people infected by HIV/ AIDS in PakNovember 16th, 2008 - 3:48 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Nov 16 (ANI): Official figures have disclosed that the number of people affected by HIV/AIDs had crossed 80,000 this year.
Taking a note of the alarming rate of spread of AIDS in the country, a special seminar would be organized on December 1 in connection with World AIDS Day to create awareness about HIV/AIDs, the Dawn quoted Manager of Pakistans National Aids Control Program Dr. Hassan Abbas Rizvi as saying.
He said: The process of creating awareness about HIV/AIDs will start two weeks before and continue throughout the months after World AIDS Day. This year we are continuing our ”Stop AIDS in Children” campaign, calling for urgent action in the prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT).
Dr Rizvi said that the number of HIV/AIDs affected patients was 303 million, most of whom belong to Africa. In Pakistan, HIV/AIDS was diagnosed among sex workers. However, it is the responsibility of the government to limit this disease from spreading, he added.
Besides, in a move to curb the further spread of the disease, the government has also established special centers in 11 major Hospitals where HIV/AIDs affected persons would be registered and teams would be sent to diagnose the disease. (ANI)
- 70,000 newborns in Nigeria are HIV positive - Apr 13, 2012
- Use protection, celebs advise on World AIDS Day - Dec 01, 2010
- Clinton underlines US efforts to combat AIDS - Jul 24, 2012
- Pakistan witnesses surge in AIDS - Jan 23, 2012
- 'Indian corporates need to do more about AIDS, HIV awareness' - Nov 30, 2010
- Mother-to-child HIV transmission on decline in US, but more can be done - Jul 23, 2010
- Work on inequalities to get rid of AIDS: UN - Dec 01, 2010
- Alicia Keys continues her efforts for AIDS awareness - Dec 02, 2011
- This time, Rongali Bihu to spread AIDS awareness - Apr 13, 2012
- Alarming HIV/AIDS surge among Pakistan's drug addicts - Jan 23, 2012
- Scriptures to help fight HIV-AIDS - Mar 12, 2011
- Meet on AIDS begins at UN - Jun 08, 2011
- Delhi to launch AIDS awareness campaign - Sep 20, 2011
- HIV positive children battle disease, discrimination (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Dec 01, 2010
- India undeterred by global donors' pullout for AIDS control (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: abbas, aids, aids control, alarming rate, child transmission, dawn, dr hassan, hiv, hiv aids, hospitals, islamabad, national aids, pakistan, prevention, rizvi, sex workers, spread of aids, stop aids, urgent action, world aids day