More funds promised for local bodies in IndiaFebruary 16th, 2009 - 3:35 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 16 (ANI): Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today said that the Government proposes to substantially expand the Panchayat Empowerment and the Accountability Scheme (PEAIS) by making suitable allocations in order to empower the Panchayats and put in place accountability systems to make their functioning transparent and efficient.
Presenting the Interim Budget 2009-2010 in the Lok Sabha here, Mukherjee said that PEAIS is an existing scheme under the central sector plan, which has been recognized as a powerful instrument to incentivise States to devolve funds, functions and functionaries and set up an institutional framework for such devolution.
He also gave the highlights of Project Arrow, which has been launched by Department of Posts to revitalize its core operations and to provide new technology-enabled service to the common man.
Promising full Government support for the Project, he informed that so far it has been successfully implemented in 500 post offices in the country.
“The Project will enhance the services offered to masses and would also lay the foundation for a vibrant delivery mechanism for many social sector schemes such as pension and the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS), Mukherjee added. (ANI)
- Allocations planned to empower panchayats - Feb 16, 2009
- Commemoration of 'National Panchayati Raj Divas' on Sunday - Apr 22, 2011
- Sikkkim wins top rural development award - Apr 24, 2012
- PM lauds high turnout at Kashmir panchayat polls - Apr 24, 2011
- Panchayats do not have enough powers - Aug 12, 2011
- Project Arrow yielded good results in Punjab: Pilot - Apr 10, 2011
- Jharkhand's 12th year to be woman empowerment year: Munda - Nov 15, 2011
- IT making panchayats transparent: Minister - Mar 28, 2012
- UN to help empower elected women in Karnataka - Sep 14, 2011
- Need to strengthen Panchayats for growth of democracy: Joshi - Jan 18, 2010
- Pakistan devolves ministries, but retains ministers - Jun 30, 2011
- For Kashmir panchayats, an endless wait for powers - Jul 11, 2012
- Manmohan Singh calls for effective functioning of village councils to help tackle Maoist menace - Apr 24, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee's Union Budget speech 2009-2010 (Full Text) - Jul 06, 2009
- Text of PM's statement in parliament - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: accountability systems, allocations, central sector, common man, core operations, delivery mechanism, devolution, empowerment, finance minister, government support, guarantee scheme, institutional framework, interim budget, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, new technology, panchayats, post offices, pranab mukherjee, social sector