Monks offer prayers for world peace in BiharOctober 26th, 2008 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
Rajgir (Bihar), Oct 26 (ANI): Hundreds of Buddhist monks from India and abroad gathered in Rajgir in Bihar to pray for world peace.
The prayers were held as part of 39th anniversary of the Vishwa Shanti Stupa, situated atop the Ratnagiri Hill.
The occasion also gained prominence as an American follower of Buddhism donated a peace bell made of an alloy of eight metals, weighing five tons, to the stupa.
Richard Dixcy, the donor of the bell said that the peace bell was a gesture for the hospitality shown to Tibetans by the State Government by giving them refuge.
“This peace bell is a gesture for the hospitality shown to Tibetans taking refuge in this sacred ground. To the government of Bihar and to the directors of this place of worship, we offer thanks for permission to place the peace bell at the Vishwa Shanti Stupa, where its voice can resound throughout the hills of Rajgir,” said Dixcy.
Vishwa Shanti Stupa, is the world’’s highest peace pagoda, facing the Griddhrakuta Hill, where Lord Buddha preached the sacred ”Lotus Sutra” for eight years. It is a major attraction for the Buddhists across the world. (ANI
- Go vegan for ritual: Tibetan government-in-exile - Oct 30, 2011
- Bihar beckons: NRI shooting documentary with Hollywood crew - Jan 19, 2011
- Nitish Kumar shifts to home district Rajgir for 5 days - Dec 26, 2009
- New facsimile of Buddhist sutra unveiled - May 04, 2012
- McLeodganj deserted as residents leave en masse for Bodh Gaya - Dec 31, 2011
- Preserve Tibetan culture, Karmapa tells Tibetans - Jan 06, 2012
- NRI Ravi Verma Shooting For Documentary In Bihar With Hollywood Crew - Jan 20, 2011
- Yangon's gilded pride - the bejewelled Shwedagon Pagoda - May 29, 2012
- Ashoka stupa restored in Tibet (With Images) - Aug 03, 2012
- Bonanza for Bihar's 500,000 government employees - Dec 29, 2009
- Dalai Lama gets Mahatma Gandhi peace prize - Jan 04, 2012
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Buddhists welcome Hindu statesman Zed to Bodhi Day commemoration in Nevada - Dec 06, 2010
- Bihar cabinet to meet aboard boats on the Ganga - Dec 30, 2009
- A mound like structure made of empty cartridges attracts tourists in Bodhgaya - Jul 24, 2010
Tags: buddha, buddhism, buddhist monks, buddhists, follower, gesture, government of bihar, lord buddha, lotus sutra, peace bell, peace pagoda, place of worship, prominence, rajgir, ratnagiri, sacred ground, sacred lotus, state government, vishwa, world peace