Monks in Bodh Gaya offer special prayer for world peaceJanuary 28th, 2009 - 3:51 pm ICT by ANI
Bodh Gaya, Jan 28 (ANI): Thousands of Buddhist monks converged at Bodh Gaya on Tuesday to offer ”Nigma Monlam Puja”, a ritual of special prayers for universal peace.
Lama Buddhist monks from various countries participated in this 10-day event.
“For decades, the Nigma Monlam Puja has been organised during this particular time and attended by thousands of monks. The main purpose of this prayer is world peace. Buddhist Lama Monks from various countries are participating in this prayer,” said Bhante P. Civili, a Buddhist monk, Bodh Gaya.
Bodh Gaya is the place where Buddha attained spiritual enlightenment as such it is among the prominent pilgrim centres for Buddhists.
Buddhist scriptures describe Bodh Gaya as the navel of the Earth.
Around a million pilgrims and tourists visit Bodh Gaya every year to see the Mahabodhi Temple and also the tree under which Lord Buddha attained enlightenment. (ANI)
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Buddhist monks pray for world peace in Bodh Gaya - Nov 21, 2009
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Dalai Lama, Karmapa lead Buddha Purnima celebrations in India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Buddhist monks offer prayers for world peace on Tripitaka festival - Dec 03, 2010
- Holy mess: Filth, mismanagement disgusts foreigners at Bodh Gaya event - Jan 08, 2012
- Bihar Police confirm terror threat to Dalai Lama event - Jan 07, 2012
- Karmapa Lama calls for environment protection - Dec 25, 2009
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Devotees travel on foot from Tibet to pray for Dalai Lama - Sep 26, 2009
- Three walk from Tibet to Bodh Gaya to pray for Dalai Lama (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- 5,000 initiated into Tibetan Buddhism at Bodh Gaya - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: bodh gaya, buddha, buddhist monk, buddhist monks, buddhist scriptures, buddhists, jan 28, lama, lord buddha, mahabodhi temple, navel, nigma, pilgrim centres, pilgrims, prayers, special prayer, spiritual enlightenment, tourists, universal peace, world peace