Monkey menace creating nuisance for Agra residentsFebruary 15th, 2009 - 1:21 pm ICT by ANI
Agra, Feb 15 (ANI): Residents in Agra are waging a constant struggle against monkeys.
Perched atop buildings, gates, carts telephone and electric wires, these monkeys are constantly on the lookout for eatables and will attack anybody carrying them.
Numerous people have fallen prey to the monkey attacks.
“Two to three people have died after being attacked by monkeys and, dozens are getting treated for monkey bites. It has become difficult to even walk on streets. Nobody can walk freely on the road if carrying some eatables. The monkeys have become so daring that they snatch it from the hands and are not even afraid of sticks,” said Deepak Khare, a resident.
The city administration says it plans to capture these monkeys and place them into protected areas where they can access food. An application has been sent to the forest department to seek permission for this exercise.
“We have sent an application to forest officials seeking their permission to capture around 2,000 monkeys. We plan to capture them and leave them in a protected area where they can get food easily,” said K.P. Tripathi, City Commissioner, Agra.
Though the administration is taking steps to eradicate the menace, a permanent solution still eludes the government.
Little has been done to curb this menace. People still walk warily to work, armed with sticks and stones to prevent a monkey attack.
The depleting forest cover around Agra has given rise to this man-animal conflict. Monkeys resort to venturing towards human settlements in absence of food in their natural habitat. (ANI)
- Monkeys menace in Puerto Rican capital - Aug 07, 2012
- One dead as two wild jumbos go berserk in Mysore - Jun 08, 2011
- Monkey business: Rhesus outsmarts langur - Mar 14, 2011
- Monkeys are back, Shimla takes cover - Sep 30, 2011
- Man-animal conflict: Assam forms response teams - Mar 30, 2012
- One dead as elephants go berserk in Mysore (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Court seeks report on Shimla monkey menace - Sep 15, 2011
- Himachal farmers load guns for 'Operation Monkey' - Dec 10, 2010
- Man-animal conflict intensifies in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 01, 2011
- Agra's candidates chary of taking on monkeys - May 01, 2009
- Leopard captured in Odisha made to 'entertain' locals - Jul 09, 2012
- Mathura tiger eludes, may be close to Rajasthan border - Oct 07, 2010
- Foundation laid by Rajiv Gandhi: A bridge on paper - Jul 15, 2012
- Agra battles stray dogs - Jan 22, 2012
- On an Indian monkey that strayed into Pakistan - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: city administration, city commissioner, constant struggle, eatables, electric wires, forest cover, forest department, forest officials, human settlements, man animal, monkey attack, monkeys, natural habitat, nuisance, permanent solution, prey, protected areas, sticks and stones, taking steps, tripathi