Modi, Pawar deride each other in MaharashtraMarch 16th, 2009 - 2:53 pm ICT by ANI
Pune, Mar 16 (ANI): The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Chief Sharad Pawar and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Narendra Modi derided each other during campaigning in Maharashtra on Monday.
While Pawar condemned Modi by calling him a “frontline leader” of the communal forces in the country, Modi mocked Pawar by saying that the Congress has cheated him on the prime ministership issue.
Modi, who has launched the BJP-Shiv Sema poll drive here on Sunday night, said, “”if Pawar had any substance, he should at least see to it that a Maharashtrian becomes captain of the Indian cricket team.”
Pawar had recently stated that a Maharashtrian should get an opportunity to become Prime Minister. Referring to his statement, Modi said that the Congress played a tricky game by making Pratibha Patil the president, sidelining Pawar’’s prime ministerial ambitions.
On the other hand, Pawar, who is convening election meetings in the neighbouring Ahmednagar district, accused Modi of destroying lives of hundreds of people in Gujarat, maligning the image of that state.
“This communal leader has come to Maharashtra (for campaigning) but people of this state would never accept his ideology that divided the society, Pawar said.
“We love the Gujarat of Mahatma Gandhi and Sardar Patel”, he said, appealing to voters to remove the poisonous “weed” of communal thoughts from the state. (ANI)
- No decision on Modi campaigning for Maharashtra civic polls - Jan 14, 2012
- Divide in NDA on Modi: Congress - Sep 20, 2011
- Advani praises Modi on blog - Mar 25, 2012
- Advani's last throw of the dice (Comment) - Oct 15, 2011
- Fear of Modi more among BJP leaders: Aiyar - Sep 17, 2011
- Despite grand show, few takers for Modi as future PM - Sep 19, 2011
- Will Modi be BJP's prime ministerial candidate? - May 27, 2012
- Stop vilification campaign against Modi: BJP - Apr 10, 2012
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Modi's fast irks celebrities - Sep 17, 2011
- Ministers' panel to review cotton export ban - Mar 07, 2012
- Advani defends Modi - Jul 08, 2012
- Is BJP resurrecting Keshubhai to take on Modi? (Gujarat Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Congress takes a dig at BJP on Gadkari's Modi remarks - Jan 24, 2012
- Modi absent as BJP national executive attacks government - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: ahmednagar, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, communal forces, communal leader, election meetings, gujarat, indian cricket team, maharashtrian, mahatma gandhi, narendra modi, nationalist congress party, ncp, poisonous weed, poll drive, pratibha patil, prime ministership, sardar patel, sharad pawar, tricky game