Moderate earthquake jolts Jammu and KashmirAugust 14th, 2012 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 14 (IANS) A moderate intensity quake jolted Jammu and Kashmir Tuesday although authorities said no loss of life or property has been reported so far.
An official of the local Met office told IANS, “A moderate intensity earthquake occurred here at 2.02 a.m. today.”
“The quake measured 5.2 on the Richter scale with latitude 34.8 degrees north and longitude 73.7 degrees east. The epicentre of the quake was located in India-J&K-Pakistan; region,” he said.
Some people in Srinagar and elsewhere in the Kashmir Valley said they were jolted out of sleep when the tremor occurred.
“I felt the bed rocking when my son called out from an adjacent room saying it was an earthquake,” said Gulam Nabi, 72, a resident of Ganderbal district in north Kashmir.
Jammu and Kashmir is situated in an earthquake sensitive region and massive tremors in the past have wreaked havoc here.
On October 8, 2005, more than 40,000 people died in a massive quake that devastated both parts of the divided Kashmir.
- Moderate quake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Mar 23, 2011
- 5.7 magnitude earthquake in Kashmir - Mar 21, 2011
- Moderate intensity tremor rocks Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Moderate intensity quake jolts Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Temblor shakes Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan; no loss of life (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Moderate intensity tremor jolts Kashmir - Apr 04, 2011
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Quake rocks Kashmir - Sep 24, 2011
- Low intensity quake shakes Kashmir - May 10, 2012
- 5.6-magniude quake jolts Pakistan - Mar 21, 2011
- Earthquake jolts Kashmir - Jul 27, 2011
- Moderate quake recorded in Kashmir - Apr 01, 2011
- Moderate tremor jolts Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- 5.6 magnitude quake felt in Kashmir Valley - Jul 19, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: amp, earthquake jolts, epicentre, gulam, havoc, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, latitude, longitude, moderate earthquake, moderate intensity, north kashmir, october 8, quake, richter scale, sensitive region, srinagar, tremor, tremors