Mittal may join takeover battle for Rio Tinto mining groupJune 30th, 2008 - 2:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 30 (ANI): Indian-born steel king Lakshmi Mittal is seriously considering joining a takeover battle for Rio Tinto, the mining group.
The Financial Times quoted people familiar with the matter as saying that Mittal, the main shareholder in steelmaker ArcelorMittal, is keen to secure larger supplies of iron ore.
Rio Tinto, one of the world’s biggest producers, is the subject of a contested bid by the Australian mining group BHP Billiton, worth about 160 billion dollars at current share prices.
The BHP-Rio deal is being scrutinised by antitrust regulators, who fear that, should the bid be allowed to proceed, a combined group would dominate the global supply of important materials such as iron ore and aluminium.
Bankers believe Rio’s iron ore assets are currently worth about 50 billion dollars. But this figure could fall sharply in the next few months.
Experts believe ArcelorMittal could afford a stake on a par with the 9 per cent stake, worth about $14bn, acquired in February by Aluminium Corporation of China (Chinalco) in combination with Alcoa of the US.
ArcelorMittal declined to comment on market speculation. (ANI)
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- ArcelorMittal again gets nod from Canadian company for takeover - Jan 05, 2011
- ArcelorMittal again extends bid for Canadian ore company - Jan 11, 2011
- ArcelorMittal forced to up bid for Canadian iron-ore giant - Dec 20, 2010
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- Now ArcelorMittal joins rival in joint bid for Canadian ore co. - Jan 15, 2011
- ArcelorMittal bid goes before Canadian regulators - Dec 22, 2010
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
- ArcelorMittal sticks to offer deadline as rival raises bid - Dec 30, 2010
- Rio Tinto detention tests Australia's relations with China - Jul 11, 2009
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- ArcelorMittal, partner buy more Baffinland stock - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: alcoa, antitrust regulators, arcelormittal, bhp billiton, billion dollars, chinalco, combined group, financial times, global supply, iron ore, lakshmi mittal, market speculation, mining group, rio deal, rio tinto mining, share prices, shareholder, steel king, steelmaker, takeover battle