Mirwaiz roughed up at Chandigarh seminar, 20 detained (Lead)November 25th, 2010 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Nov 25 (IANS) Kashmiri separatist leader and Hurriyat Conference chief Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was roughed up by displaced Kashmiri Pandits and Hindu right-wing activists at a seminar here Thursday.
Mirwaiz, who was inside the conference hall of the Kisan Bhawan in Sector 35 here, was manhandled by the activists who objected to anti-India comments being made at the seminar.
At least a couple of protestors jumped on the conference table and attacked him. He was sharing the dias with leaders of other political parties, including the general secretary of Shiromani Akali Dal Prem Singh Chandumajra.
The organisers immediately jumped in to save Mirwaiz. There was total chaos inside the hall for close to 30 minutes as the protestors shouted slogans against Mirwaiz, Hurriyat Conference and Pakistan.
The protestors also pelted stones, and hurled flower pots.
Chandigarh police rushed in more constables to control the situation at the venue. The police later detained nearly 20 activists, including some women.
“We will not allow any anti-India activity here. We will protest against it,” one of the activists said as he was being taken away by the police.
Zameel Qazim, general secretary of the International Democratic Party (IDP), which organised the seminar to discuss the Kashmir issue, told IANS: “Mirwaiz just started speaking when the attack took place. They attacked him without provocation.”
Another IDP leader, S.S. Sanyal said: “Those who led the attack were not Kashmiris.”
- Mirwaiz roughed up at Chandigarh seminar (Second Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Kashmiri Pandits attack Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz in Chandigarh - Nov 25, 2010
- I am not hurt, says Mirwaiz Farooq - Nov 25, 2010
- 'Mirwaiz has nothing to tell about Kashmir' - Nov 26, 2010
- Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha activists attack Mirwaiz in New Delhi - Nov 30, 2010
- ABVP workers hurl eggs at Mirwaiz's vehicle in Kolkata - Nov 28, 2010
- BJP youth wing to continue protests against Mirwaiz - Dec 01, 2010
- BJP youth wing activists attack Mirwaiz's car - Nov 30, 2010
- BJP youth wing seeks arrest of Mirwaiz - Nov 25, 2010
- Hurriyat chief Geelani heckled in Delhi seminar - Oct 21, 2010
- Mirwaiz heckled at Kolkata seminar for 'anti-India' speech - Nov 28, 2010
- BJP youth wing protests 'anti-India' speech by Mirwaiz (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Court moved over 'anti-India' speech by Kashmiri separatist - Nov 27, 2010
- Clashes in Srinagar after news of assault on Mirwaiz - Nov 25, 2010
- Growing crime leaves Chandigarh jittery (Letter from Chandigarh) - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: activists, akali dal, chandigarh police, constables, democratic party, farooq, flower pots, general secretary, hindu, kashmir, kashmir issue, organisers, pandits, political parties, prem, protestors, provocation, separatist leader, slogans, total chaos