Ministerial committee to resolve pay anomalies of armed forces shortlyOctober 13th, 2008 - 6:57 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 13: A ministerial committee led by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, set up to look into the armed forces” grievance about pay anomalies, is likely to sort out the matter soon.
Mukherjee, who heads the three-member committee, said on Monday that he had discussed the matter with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Defence Minister A K Antony.
Shortly, I am going to discuss with the Finance Minister P Chidambaram, he told reporters here when asked about the issue.
Without giving details of his discussions with the Prime Minister, Mukherjee merely said: I do hope we will be able to sort out the issue shortly.
The Prime Minister set up the committee, which also includes Antony and Chidambaram, on September 25 in the wake of deep resentment in the armed forces, who complained that there were anomalies in the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations and that it had lowered the status of their officers.
After the government notification was issued on August 29, the issues of anomalies in the pay for officers was first raised by Air Chief Fali Homi Major in his letter in his capacity as acting Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC).
Chiefs of Navy and Army too have been voicing their resentment.
Antony has strongly favoured resolution of core issues raised by the three services chiefs in their representation to the government. (ANI)
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Indian Navy chief favours five-star CDS - Aug 07, 2012
- Defence Minister Antony says government, armed forces do not differ on pay hike - Oct 01, 2008
- Navy Chief takes pay panel anomalies to Chidambaram - Sep 10, 2008
- AFSPA: Omar meets PM, Chidambaram; no time limit, says Antony - Nov 15, 2011
- UPA meet Friday may endorse Pranab for president - Jun 14, 2012
- New pay scales for armed forces as early Diwali gift (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Sep 27, 2008
- No differences in cabinet, says Antony - Sep 27, 2011
- Cabinet panel meets as violence escalates in Kashmir - Sep 13, 2010
- Government, opposition unite; say no public debate on defence issues (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- AFSPA will be revoked one day: Farooq - Nov 25, 2011
- Antony reviews security situation - Nov 15, 2011
- CCS fails to take decision on Kashmir situation, calls for all party meet - Sep 13, 2010
- Omar for denotifying disturbed areas in Kashmir - Dec 02, 2011
- Antony under fire over army chief's age row (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: air chief, anomalies, antony, chiefs of staff, commission recommendations, core issues, cosc, defence minister, external affairs minister, finance minister, government notification, manmohan, manmohan singh, member committee, ministerial committee, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, resentment, staff committee