Minister promises Food Security Act in 100 daysJune 14th, 2009 - 4:55 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvananthapuram, June 14 (ANI): Union Minister of State for Food and Civil Supplies K V Thomas on Sunday said that a Food Security Act would be in place within the next 100 days.
Addressing a press conference here, Thomas said the UPA Government’s flagship scheme of providing 25 kilograms of rice and wheat at Rs. 3 per kilogram to families in the Below Poverty Line (BPL) category would be implemented within the next 100 days.
He said that the Food Security Act would ensure the mandatory implementation of the scheme.
He said the new scheme was more challenging than the National Employment Guarantee Scheme.
Thomas said the government would have to ensure the supply of food grains through an effective public distribution system.
The Act would also stipulate measures to increase production to ensure hassle free supply of food grains under the scheme, he said.
The guidelines to identify families under BPL would be changed as government was in the process of ‘giving a definition’ to this category, he said.
On the introduction of BT-seeds in the country, he said Centre was studying the matter.
The government was also considering lifting the ban on export of rice, he said. (ANI)
- Centre, Bengal spar over food grain allotment utilisation - Jul 11, 2012
- Committed to food security bill: minister - Oct 12, 2011
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Some subsidy may be restored to tackle drought: Minister - Jul 27, 2012
- Food security: PM says will seriously evaluate NAC recommendations - Oct 30, 2010
- Government to take states on board over food bill - Jan 10, 2012
- Price rise: Centre asks States to take up market intervention effectively - Feb 07, 2011
- Cabinet clears pathbreaking food bill (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- Will Sonia Gandhi's food bill pass muster? - Dec 18, 2011
- Will Sonia Gandhi's Food Bill past muster? (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Centre to offload 6 months PDS grains - May 24, 2012
- BPL, APL families to get extra quantities of wheat, rice - May 19, 2010
Tags: flagship, food grains, food security act, guarantee scheme, hassle, june 14, kilogram, kilograms, mandatory implementation, measures, minister of state, national employment, poverty line, public distribution system, seeds, union minister, UPA, wheat