Milkmen in Orissa take to streets demanding a minimum support price for milkNovember 21st, 2008 - 9:22 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Nov 21 (ANI): Unable to withstand the loss and sufferings, hundreds of milkmen in Bhubaneswar on Friday, took to the streets with milk cans on their heads and pour it on the road, in front of the collector’’s office.
According to the protestors, the state government headed by Naveen Patnaik, is showing apathy towards the issues relating to the milk producers.
Milkmen, together with their milk cans, gathered in front of the District Magistrate’’s office and poured 5,000 litres of milk on the road.
We are protesting because we want to inform the people of the nation that in Orissa, milk costs less than water. Here water is sold at the rate Rupees 12 per liter, whereas milk at Rupees 10 per liter. The state government, which is committing atrocities on us, initially raised the minimum support price of milk by four rupees, but later under the pressure of some resourceful people the Chief Minister rolls back. In protest against all this, we have thrown 5,000 litres of milk outside the District Magistrate’’s office, said Pradeep Behra, General Secretary, Milk Farmers Federation.
Recently, the Orissa State Cooperative Milk Producers” Federation Ltd. (OMFED) had increased the base price of milk by Rs. four per litre, but rolled back under severe pressure from various outfits.
Cattle farm owners are suffering losses as the prices of cattle feed have increased manifold to sustain the stock. (ANI)
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.6.28 plus taxes, industry welcomes move (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- And now, milk price set to increase in Karnataka - Jan 14, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik writes to PM, seeks petrol price cut - Sep 17, 2011
- Jayalalithaa seeks people's support for price rise - Nov 20, 2011
- Milk to cost Rs.2 more in Karnataka from Tuesday - Feb 14, 2011
- Vijayakant to fast Nov 24 against price hikes - Nov 21, 2011
- Petrol price cut by Rs.2 a litre (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Controversy as senior bureaucrat in Orissa shifted - Dec 19, 2008
- Public fumes, as petrol prices hiked again (Roundup) - Sep 15, 2011
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Intro Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- Vijayakant fasts against price rise - Nov 24, 2011
- Taj city goes without milk - Mar 23, 2012
- Petrol price hiked by Rs.7, opposition and allies fret (Roundup) - May 23, 2012
- UP plans to set up milk plant in Lucknow - Aug 08, 2012
- Milk prices up by Rs.2 in Bihar - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: apathy, atrocities, base price, cattle farm, cattle feed, chief minister, district magistrate, farmers federation, federation ltd, general secretary, litre, milk cans, milk producers, milkmen, orissa state, people of the nation, pradeep, protestors, rupees, sufferings