Milk worth millions drained out by Shiv Sena activistsJuly 23rd, 2010 - 9:53 pm ICT by ANI
Satara (Maharashtra), July 23 (ANI): The right-wing Shiv Sena activists drained out thousands of litres of milk in Maharashtra’s Satara city on Friday as a mark of protest against the State Government’s decision to import processed milk powder in the region.
In a highly charged agitation, scores of Shiv Sena activists resorted to hooliganism and vandalism of sorts, as they disrupted local traffic by stopping milk tankers to empty their contents on the streets.
The locals said nearly fifty thousand litres of milk, worth millions, was drained out onto the streets.
Raising ‘anti-government’ slogans, the protestors alleged that Maharashtra Government’s decision was hitting local dairy businesses, already reeling under the impact of the rising inflation.
“It is so shocking that 30,000 tonnes of milk powder are being imported by the Maharashtra Government, while milk is being procured at rupees five a litre. This move of the government has come as a big blow to the regional dairy and livestock owners. We oppose this injustice,” said Shankar Godse, a Shiv Sena leader.
“The Shiv Sena, along with regional milk suppliers and cooperative federations, would boycott all dairy supplies to consumers if the State and Central Government did not take affirmative action by July 24,” he added. (ANI)
- Maharashtra welcomes lifting of ban on milk powder exports - Jun 02, 2012
- Indian ban to hit Pashupatinath's festival in Nepal - Feb 20, 2011
- Taj city goes without milk - Mar 23, 2012
- Israel keen on helping Goa meet its dairy deficit - Aug 25, 2012
- Protests across Maharashtra against petrol price hike - May 24, 2012
- Shiv Sena protests lifting of ban on James Laine book on Shivaji - Jul 12, 2010
- Shutdown near-total in Mumbai, most of Maharashtra (Second lead) - May 31, 2012
- Karnataka eyes Indian diaspora to promote dairy exports - Jan 17, 2011
- Inflation row heats up across India - Jan 17, 2011
- Shiv Sena reiterates anti-Jaitapur n-plant stand - Dec 19, 2010
- Milk adulteration report hasty, will test samples: Delhi - Jan 11, 2012
- Third Gandhi visits Maharashtra, but drought continues... - Apr 28, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi visits drought-hit Maharashtra district (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Give us water, Maharashtra villagers tell Rahul (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi visits drought-hit Maharashtra district - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: activists, affirmative action, agitation, central government, dairy businesses, dairy supplies, hooliganism, injustice, litre, livestock owners, maharashtra government, milk powder, milk suppliers, protestors, regional milk, rupees, shiv sena, slogans, tankers, vandalism