Militants kill labourers in Agricultural University of ManipurJune 23rd, 2009 - 10:20 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, June 23 (ANI): Students and teaching faculty of Manipur’ s Central Agricultural University recently conducted a sit-in to display anguish over a violent incident.
Two gunmen made their way inside the Central Agriculture University campus and shot six labourers engaged in construction work at the university. Three of them died on the spot, while others sustained bullet injuries.
The incident has created a sense of fear among students and staff.
Denouncing the violent act, students and the teaching staff staged a sit-in protest.
“Such unfortunate incidents that too within the campus, in front of student hostel is very unfortunate. It shouldn’t have taken place. We all are very concerned about it because students are coming here from different parts of North East for study purposes. Such incidents would definitely affect their morale. That can affect their studies,” said S.N.PURI, Vice Chancellor of Central Agriculture University.
“We condemn the killings. Such incident disturbs the academic atmosphere of this campus. We do not want those things happen. We want a peaceful academic atmosphere,” A. Herojit Singh , Associate Professor of CAU.
Students were busy preparing for Bachelor of Science in Agriculture examination that was scheduled for June 22 when the incident occurred.
The killings at the university have caused concern among the people of the State who have been appealing that educational institutions should be made a militancy free zone.
The incident has also caused fear and panic among students staying in the hostel.
“Now they are killing the laborers. After sometimes, they may kill us also. That is why we want safety for all of us,” said Susmita, a student. CAU
It has been pointed out to the militants who claim to represent the interests of the people that they are causing by targeting educational institutions. (ANI)
- Sit-in at Visva Bharati in Hazare's support - Apr 08, 2011
- Northeast students want CBI to probe deaths of Loitam, Sangma - May 13, 2012
- Students clash with police in Allahabad, torch vehicles - Apr 27, 2012
- Panjab University gears up to control campus violence - Jul 31, 2010
- NEC to construct hostel for northeast students in Bangalore - Sep 03, 2012
- Clashes continue in Osmania University, protests rock Telangana (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- Ahead of student polls, war zone at Panjab University - Sep 01, 2011
- IIM-B students skip lunch over Anna's arrest - Aug 17, 2011
- Panjab University to form committees to curb ragging - Jul 02, 2009
- President Patil to lay foundation of IGNOU campus - Aug 30, 2011
- Work-related burnout affects good lecturers the most - May 03, 2011
- Islamic students at top UK university ' preaching hard-line extremism' - Oct 18, 2010
- To protest or not to protest - Panjab University debates - May 04, 2011
- Panjab University teachers see red over campus showbiz - Jan 21, 2012
- Delhi University teachers assaulted on campus - May 16, 2010
Tags: academic atmosphere, agricultural university, agriculture university, bachelor of science, educational institutions, fear and panic, imphal, laborers, manipur, puri, s central, science in agriculture, sense of fear, sit in protest, student hostel, study purposes, unfortunate incidents, vice chancellor, violent act, violent incident