Militant, civilian killed in Assam encounterApril 11th, 2009 - 3:29 pm ICT by ANI
Karbi Anglong (Assam), Apr 11 (ANI): A Karbi militant and a civilian were killed in an encounter between the militants and the Army near Dakomoka of Karbi Anglong District in Assam on Saturday morning.
According to official sources, the gunbattle started when a unit of Army personnel tried to corner the group of militants in Karbi Anglong district.
In a separate incident during the same time in adjacent North Cachar Hills District, a separate group of militants belonging to the Dimasa ethnic group fired indiscriminately at a goods train coming from Lumding to Badarpur.
However, there were no causalities as the drivers’ cabin was bulletproof.
On Friday, at least one person was killed and 10 others injured when a grenade was thrown at a passenger train in North Cachar Hills District.According to reports, Dima Halam Daogah- Jewel (DHD-J) rebels targeted the Barak Valley Express as it arrived at Wadringdisa station in the Cachar hills district.
The attack has aroused great resentment among railway employees.
Director General of Assam Police G M Srivastava had also made a visit to Haflong, the district headquarters, to review the law and order situation there. (ANI)
- Peace Accord with Black Widow rebel faction soon: Chidambaram - Jan 24, 2012
- Shut-down in Assam's North Cachar Hills District - Apr 12, 2009
- Ceasefire agreements with Assam rebel groups extended - Jan 18, 2012
- 40 houses of tribals torched in southern Assam - Jun 09, 2009
- Night train services resume in terror-hit section of northeast - Oct 21, 2009
- Home Secretary Pillai visiting Assam, talks with Black Widow on cards - Jul 30, 2009
- Terrorists' arms cache recovered in Assam - Jul 10, 2010
- Black Widow surrenders weapons in Assam - Sep 16, 2009
- Assam scam accused files poll papers from jail - Mar 17, 2011
- Passenger train derails in Assam, militant hand suspected (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Blast rocks Assam ahead of Republic Day, train derailed - Jan 25, 2011
- One killed, 10 injured in Assam train grenade attack - Apr 10, 2009
- Government funds siphoned off to Assam terror outfit: NIA chargesheet - Oct 22, 2010
- DNRF militant nabbed in Assam - Mar 21, 2012
- Assam terror outfit disbands - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: army personnel, assam police, barak valley, cachar, dhd, director general, district headquarters, encounter, ethnic group, grenade, gunbattle, jewel, law and order, militants, north cachar hills, passenger train, railway employees, resentment, saturday morning, srivastava