Migratory birds arrive in Harike Bird SanctuaryJanuary 9th, 2011 - 12:15 pm ICT by ANI
Harike (Punjab), Jan.9 (ANI): Migratory birds have arrived at the world famous Harike Bird wetland-cum-sanctuary, and are expected to remain till the month of March. They include geese and Siberian cranes.
Spread over 100 square miles, the Harike wetland is India’s second largest bird sanctuary and home to rare species of avifauna, pelicans, flamingoes and Siberian cranes that arrive from different parts of Europe and northern Asia.
Over the years, there has been a dwindling of the migratory bird population due to climate change.
This year, the Department of Forests is reportedly planning to conduct a census of migratory birds with the help of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
Sanjiv Tiwari, Divisional Forest Officer, said that compared to 2009-10, the 2010-11 winter season has seen an increase in the population of migratory birds, and added that the state and central governments are planning to launch several schemes to promote the Harike Bird Sanctuary as a tourist destination.
Jaspal Singh, Member of the Nature Care Society, an NGO said that Harike Pattan has assumed international importance as a breeding ground and habitat for a large variety of migratory birds.
He said that if government promotes this sanctuary, bird lovers would frequent it more. (ANI)
- Delhi's migratory birds take hit as wetlands shrink - Jan 17, 2012
- Migratory birds declining, government monitoring habitat - Nov 30, 2011
- Fire in Uttar Pradesh forest, no casualties - Jan 31, 2012
- Himachal gets new feathery guest - Jan 17, 2011
- With 40,000 winged visitors, Pong wetlands a tiny paradise - Nov 29, 2011
- Himachal to count its feathered guests this month - Jan 29, 2012
- 40,000 bar-headed geese roosting in Himachal now (With Image) - Jan 20, 2010
- Know the bird and count it too - at Pong wetlands - Jan 25, 2011
- Maharashtra to bid for UN recognition to six wetlands (With Images) - Sep 07, 2012
- Now GPS to monitor winged visitors to Himachal - Jan 22, 2011
- Migratory Siberian birds arrive in Haripura - Nov 29, 2010
- Shhh! Chandigarh environs are hosting winged visitors - Dec 17, 2010
- Uttarakhand Govt. spreads mass awareness on migratory birds - Feb 04, 2010
- Tagged birds return to Pong wetlands from China - Dec 27, 2011
- Over 4.5 lakh migratory birds wintering at Chilika Lake - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,