Migrant labourer killed in ManipurNovember 10th, 2009 - 1:13 pm ICT by ANI
Imphal, Nov 10 (ANI): Shankar Sahu, a migrant labourer working in Manipur was shot by unidentified people here on Monday.
This is the third attack on migrants in the state since October 31.
Sahu (23) from Bihar was working here for the last many years. He was shot at by some unidentified miscreants while he was on his way to the market to sell grains.
” We got information that a non-Manipuri was shot by some unidentified miscreants. So we rushed to the spot. At that time … Shankar Sahu was lying unconscious. So our police party brought him to JN hospital for medical treatment,” said H. Darwin Singh, sub-inspector, Imphal.
However, he succumbed to his injuries on Monday. His body was taken to the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) for post mortem.
Jagdish Sahu, a relative of the victim, said that the government should take stern measures to protect the migrants, working in Manipur.
“This is all wrong because we can earn our bread by working in any corner of India. But who killed him, why did they kill him, what is their aim behind it? We do not know, but this is all wrong. The government must take stern action so that such incidents do not occur again,” said Sahu.
In a similar incident, unknown gunmen shot dead Joysankar Prasad, a butcher in Thoubal district on October 31. In another incident, unidentified gunmen had shot dead Mohammad Kalam Sheikh, a scrap iron collector in Imphal on November 2.
At least 24 migrants were killed in Manipur since February this year. (ANI)
- Fear in Manipur after outsiders told to quite state - Sep 07, 2012
- Migrant labourer shot dead in Manipur - Dec 16, 2009
- Militant group threatens non-Manipuris to leave state by March 31 - Mar 07, 2010
- Barbers agitate in Manipur - Mar 09, 2009
- Two migrant workers killed in Manipur - Dec 17, 2009
- Manipuris appeal for peace after militants target non-local labourers - Jun 14, 2009
- Rebel group tells non-locals to quit Manipur - Mar 07, 2010
- Rebel group tells non-locals to quit Manipur (Lead) - Mar 07, 2010
- Migrants to North East fear militant threat - Dec 25, 2009
- Unending violence instills fear among Manipuris - Feb 21, 2011
- Migrant workers flee Manipur after killings - Jun 15, 2009
- Two more killed in Karachi violence - Jun 16, 2012
- Medical officer killed in Lucknow - Apr 02, 2011
- CMO killing: UP Police announces reward of Rs two lakhs - Apr 04, 2011
- Militants now target state departments and officials in Manipur - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: butcher, grains, imphal, jagdish, kalam, manipuri, medical sciences, medical treatment, migrants, miscreants, mohammad, november 2, october 31, post mortem, regional institute, rims, scrap iron, shankar, stern action, unidentified gunmen