Mid-Day meal scheme extended to upper primary stageNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:40 am ICT by admin
The Government of India has released the Central assistance to the respective States for extension of Mid-Day Meal programme to upper primary stage. A sum of Rs.7324 Crores was provided in the Budget 2007-08 for the MDM Programme, representing a 37 percent increase over the budget provision for 2006-07.
The Expenditure as on 30-09-2007 is Rs.2231.12 Crores (30 percent of BE) including Rs. 422.94 crores towards cooking cost for upper primary stage. In addition, 3,22,785 MTs of food grain has been allocated to States/UTs for extension of coverage to upper primary stage.
The calorific value of the mid day meal has been fixed for upper primary at 700 calories and 20 grams of protein. Foodgrains @ 150 grams per child/ school day for the upper primary stage would be provided.
The cooking cost of mid day meal for upper primary stage at Rs 2.50 per child/school day with the NER States contribution being a minimum of Rs 0.20 per child/school day and for all other States and UTs, the State contribution being Rs 0.50 per child/school day.
Transport Subsidy has been enhanced for eleven Special Category States (Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Uttarakhand) from Rs. 100 per quintal to Rs. 125 per quintal.
The Central assistance to construct kitchen-cum-store in upper primary schools would be provided @ Rs 60,000 per unit, as in the case of primary stage besides, Central assistance for kitchen devices to upper primary schools would be @ Rs 5,000 per school as in the case of primary stage.
The name of Scheme has been changed from ‘National Programme of Nutritional Support to Primary Education’ to ‘National Programme of Mid Day Meals in Schools’. (ANI)
- Bengal plans day care centres for maids' children - Nov 12, 2011
- Computers to monitor midday meal scheme - Aug 02, 2011
- Punjab wants more funds for a healthier diet - Jul 31, 2009
- Centralised kitchens in Pubjab for mid-day meals - Jul 10, 2011
- Five arrested after lizard found in mid-day meal - Jul 24, 2009
- Children ill after lizard-infested meal in Bihar school - Jul 28, 2009
- Special kitchens for Haryana schools - Oct 10, 2010
- More Muslim kids attending schools - Dec 02, 2011
- Jharkhand sets up 500 paddy procurement centres - Aug 05, 2011
- MSP hiked to boost food production - Oct 25, 2011
- Salient features of food bill - Dec 22, 2011
- Ensure proper working of mid-day meal scheme, states told - May 18, 2010
- Chandigarh proposes Rs.45.14 cr for secondary education - Jan 07, 2010
- Schools in West Bengal's Bankura district lack basic facilities - Feb 28, 2011
- Empowering children to tackle their problems themselves - Nov 14, 2011
Tags: arunachal pradesh, budget provision, calorific value, central assistance, crores, food grain, government of india, jammu and kashmir, mid day, national programme, primary schools, quintal, rs 125, state contribution, upper primary, uts, uttarakhand