Mid-air collision averted in AssamFebruary 10th, 2009 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Feb 10 (IANS) A mid-air collision was averted Tuesday when an Indian Airlines flight from Dibrugarh in Assam to Kolkata and an Indian Air Force (IAF) transport aircraft came close to each other, officials said.
The Indian Airlines flight IC 206 with 45 passengers on board was flying over the town of Jorhat in eastern Assam when the IAF’s giant IL-76 Gajraj aircraft came on the same route.
“The pilot of the IL-76 changed the direction at the last moment on seeing the Indian Airlines plane,” an IAF official said.
Both aircraft were flying at an altitude of about 17,000 feet over Jorhat airspace.
The incident comes a day after a chopper from President Pratibha Patil’s air convoy came in the way of an Indian Airlines passenger craft about to take off in Mumbai.
- Probe ordered into near-midair collision over Assam - Feb 11, 2009
- Air India, Jet Airways deny reports of 'averted collision' - Jun 06, 2010
- Mid-air collision averted in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2011
- Mid-air collision averted over Tamil Nadu (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
- Probe hangs fire even a month after president's chopper incident - Mar 09, 2009
- Special IAF flights for people stranded in Kargil - Feb 06, 2012
- Air India, Jet Airways planes in near miss over Tamil Nadu - Jun 06, 2010
- Nine IAF men killed as two choppers collide (Third Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Nine perish as two IAF choppers collide (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Eight killed as two IAF choppers collide (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Over 1000 Indians to be evacuated from Libya today - Mar 03, 2011
- Israeli technology minimizes bird hits in flight - Feb 08, 2012
- Foreign plane detained at Jaipur (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Over 7,000 Indians to be back from Libya by Thursday (Roundup) - Mar 03, 2011
- IAF says pilot did not refuse to fly Rahul - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: altitude, assam, chopper, convoy, dibrugarh, flight ic, giant, guwahati, iaf, indian air force, indian airlines flight, indian airlines plane, jorhat, last moment, mid air collision, passenger craft, pilot, president pratibha patil, transport aircraft