Michelangelo’’s David ”on verge of collapse due to traffic and visitorsSeptember 20th, 2008 - 2:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 20 (ANI): Michelangelo’’s statue of David in Florence is “at risk of collapse” because of its exposure to mass tourism, say Italian experts.
According to Antonio Borri, professor of construction engineering at Perugia University and part of the team monitoring the statue’’s state of conservation, the cracks which been repaired during a 2004 restoration marking the 500th anniversary of the statue’’s creation had re-appeared.
The options for saving the statue, which is kept at the Galleria dell Accademia, will be discussed in a seminar in Florence tomorrow.
These include enclosing it in a protective covering to stop further deterioration and even closing it to the public altogether for a period.
Professor Borri, who is a Florentine, said that the cracks had “re-opened one by one. David is coming apart”. He said the blame lay with traffic vibrations and the pressure of thousands of daily visitors.
Professor Borri said that Michelangelo’’s masterpiece held by many to be the most perfect representation of the nude male form ever sculpted was also vulnerable because of its huge size and the poor quality of marble Michelangelo used.
He said that the statue was under “round the clock observation”, and seismic monitors would be inserted under the statue’’s base to measure the vibrations.
“We have got to do something quickly,” TimesOnline quoted him, as saying. (ANI)
- Michelangelo's David 'may collapse due to train line construction' - Mar 05, 2011
- Ownership of David statue sparks row in Italy - Aug 17, 2010
- Chinese museum to replicate Michelangelo's sculptures - Jun 20, 2011
- Florence, Italian Govt. in court battle over ownership of Michelangelo's David - Aug 16, 2010
- Chinese netizens target nudes in classics - Jul 13, 2012
- Nude David statue censored on Chinese TV - Jul 10, 2012
- Michelangelo's David 'held secret weapon in right hand' - Nov 20, 2010
- Male bowerbirds entice females with optical tricks - Sep 12, 2010
- Original model for Michelangelo's Pieta 'found' - Dec 01, 2010
- 2,000 years old Venus had red lips, golden hair - Mar 02, 2012
- Wooden figure of Christ not Michelangelo's work: Art historians - May 26, 2009
- Was Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa a man? - Feb 03, 2011
- Michelangelo's David is stressed out especially around the leg area - Mar 19, 2008
- US 'Jersey Shore' series to film in Florence - Apr 21, 2011
- Scribbled thoughts reveal Michelangelo was a tortured poet - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: accademia, antonio borri, collapse, construction engineering, cracks, deterioration, florence, florentine, galleria dell accademia, italian experts, marble, mass tourism, masterpiece, michelangelo, observation, poor quality, s david, statue of david, verge, vibrations