Michael Phelps reveals the strange things that drove him to successAugust 27th, 2008 - 12:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, August 27 (ANI): Golden boy Michael Phelps might have become a world sports icon on the back of his incredible haul of eight gold medals from the Beijing Olympics, but people hardly know that the real purpose behind his learning to swim was not to become a champion.
Phelps, who was in London as a member of Olympic sponsors Team Visa to take part in the 2012 handover, has revealed that his mother made him learn to swim so that he would not drown while on holiday.
I started swimming because my mother wanted me to be water-safe. She wanted to be confident that if we were ever in a situation at a pool or beach we would be safe. Later on I got involved in competition, British tabloid The Sun quoted him as saying in the shadow of Buckingham Palace while London threw a huge party as it officially became the Olympic host city.
As regards what made him succeed in the pool, the super-athlete admitted that it was childhood bullying to a certain extent.
Kids used to pick on me and torment me but it made me a better person, said the sports star whose hero is basketball legend Michael Jordan.
There were days when I was on the school bus and had my baseball hat thrown out of the window. Its funny because the people who did that are now trying to come back and be friends, and its like, No, he added.
Phelps revealed that being doubted by his teachers was another reason why he worked harder and harder to prove his mettle.
One of my teachers at middle school I cant remember his name said I would never be successful. When someone says that, Im going to work even harder to prove him wrong. It was a dream come true to achieve something no one has done before, he said.
He further said that swimming helped him a lot overcome Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
I couldnt sit still, I couldnt focus. Getting in the water helped me focus and stay on track and I grew out of it, he said.
Phelps flew home on Tuesday. (ANI)
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Lochte overtakes Phelps for gold in World Swimming Championships - Jul 26, 2011
- Swimming Australia plans to lure Phelps for Thorpe showdown - Apr 03, 2011
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- Le Clos sends out warning to Phelps - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Oz swimmer Klim comes out of retirement, eying Olympics comeback - Feb 14, 2011
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: attention deficit hyperactivity, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, basketball legend, beijing olympics, british tabloid the sun, buckingham palace, gold medals, michael phelps, olympic host city, tabloid the sun