Metallica drummer owned painting fetches $13.5m at Christie’’sNovember 14th, 2008 - 3:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 14 (ANI): A painting of a boxer by Jean-Michel Basquiat, which was owned by Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich, has fetched 13.5 million dollars at an auction.
On the other hand, a Francis Bacon painting failed to sell, fuelling fears over the state of the art market.
The painting by Basquiat was a highlight of Christie’’s contemporary art auction in New York.
Though, Bacon’’s Study for Self Portrait was billed as a highlight of the auction, and was expected to fetch 40 million dollars, the bidding stalled at 27.4million dollars and the auction was halted.
A total of 75 contemporary works went under the hammer at the sale on Wednesday evening, but almost a third failed to attract a buyer.
The auction took a total of 113.6million dollars, half the low pre-sale estimate of 227million dollars.
“The market is continuing, but clearly at a different price level,” BBC news quoted Christie’’s president Marc Porter, as saying.
“There’’s no panic in the market, but there is an adjustment. While it had declined, you”ve seen it find a stable level, with a lot of support, he added.
Baird Ryan, managing director of the art-related financial services firm Art Capital Group, said there continued to be demand for fine art. (ANI)
- Dennis Hopper artwork expected to fetch $13m at auction - Sep 22, 2010
- Dennis Hopper's art fetches $10mn at auction - Nov 15, 2010
- Andy Warhol self-portrait goes on display for the first time in 30 yrs - Feb 12, 2011
- 'Raza masterpiece unsold but art market stable' - Mar 22, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta work sells for $2.1 mn at Christie's South Asian auction - Jun 12, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Souza lead auction stakes at Christie's - May 26, 2011
- Asian buyers start appearing on Christie's radar - Nov 16, 2010
- Sliding Chinese art mart gives India price edge - Aug 20, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Rare Indian, Asian art at Christie's sale (With Images) - Mar 15, 2012
- Collection of classical Indian, Asian art creates record - Mar 21, 2012
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait to fetch $40m at NY auction - Apr 22, 2011
- Christie's to auction "giant pearl" - Mar 30, 2011
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Historic Tipu Sultan painting on sale by Osian's (With Image) - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: 5 million, 5m, art auction, art capital, art market, baird, capital group, christie, contemporary art, contemporary works, drummer lars ulrich, francis bacon, jean michel basquiat, managing director, metallica, metallica drummer lars ulrich, million dollars, self portrait, stable level, wednesday evening