Meningitis outbreak in MeghalayaJanuary 29th, 2009 - 2:32 pm ICT by ANI
Shillong (Meghalaya), Jan 29 (ANI): Authorities in Meghalaya are trying to combat the outbreak of meningitis fever.
An increase in the patients has made the National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD) recommend to the State government to strengthen surveillance for early detection and treatment of those affected.
After visiting the affected areas the team of experts said that most of the meningitis fever cases have been reported from slum areas where the people are forced to live in unhygienic conditions.
The State health authorities said that control rooms have been set up in all the districts to increase surveillance.
“We are trying our best to combat this disease by strengthening the surveillance of the cases and we have set up the control rooms in all the districts,” said A. Kynjing, Director of Health, Shillong.
The authorities added that they were taking all needed steps to check the outbreak of the disease while doctors are being trained to treat the patients.
Meningitis starts with fever, headache, body pain and finally affects the brain.
Bacteria and viruses that cause meningitis are fairly common and are generally associated with other routine illnesses like fever and ear infections.
A major epidemic in India had occurred in 1986 with 686 deaths and over 7,400 reported cases. (ANI)
- Massive vaccination programme in Meghalaya to deal with meningitis - Apr 10, 2009
- Meningitis returns to Tripura, Meghalaya also affected - Dec 11, 2009
- Meningitis claims 230 lives in Northeast - Feb 16, 2009
- Now Karachi frets over dengue outbreak - Aug 22, 2011
- Mosquito monitoring saves lives as well as money - Oct 27, 2010
- Five die of mite disease in Meghalaya - Dec 01, 2011
- 37 die of Meningitis in Uganda - Apr 28, 2010
- MSF battles kala azar in Bihar - Jul 17, 2012
- West Nile virus hits US, four dead - Aug 04, 2012
- Meningitis claims 165 lives in northeast - Feb 10, 2009
- Pakistan dengue cases reach almost 9,800 (Lead) - Sep 25, 2011
- Viral fever hits Kerala's Alappuzha - May 01, 2011
- India battles staggering tuberculosis burden (March 24 is World TB Day) - Mar 23, 2011
- Japanese encephalitis outbreak hits Manipur - Jul 16, 2010
- Indian vaccine to save 250 million lives in Africa - Mar 01, 2011
Tags: bacteria, cause meningitis, communicable diseases, deaths, doctors, ear infections, epidemic, fever, headache, illnesses, jan 29, meghalaya, outbreak, shillong, slum areas, state government, state health authorities, surveillance, team of experts, viruses