Melatonin therapy can effectively treat common inflammatory eye diseaseNovember 24th, 2008 - 4:43 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 24 (ANI): Melatonin therapy, generally used for regulating sleeping patterns and reducing jet lag, can effectively treat a common inflammatory eye disease, according to researchers.
The common inflammatory eye disease called uveitis is often accompanied by sudden redness and pain in eyes. It untreated, it can lead to permanent vision loss.
A team of researchers from the University of Buenos Aires and The National Research Council (CONICET) has found that melatonin treatment significantly reduced the levels of TNFa and NF?B, the factors that contribute to inflammation.
The treatment also decreased the appearance of clinical symptoms of uveitis such as inflammation, blood vessel expansion and cataract, and protected the blood-ocular barrier integrity.
The researchers suggest that either alone or combined with corticosteroid therapy, the anti-inflammatory effects of melatonin may benefit patients with chronic uveitis and decrease the rate and degree of corticosteroid-induced complications.
Their next step will be to find out the mechanisms governing melatonin protection in the eye.
The study Therapeutic Effect of Melatonin in Experimental Uveitis” appears in the December issue of The American Journal of Pathology. (ANI)
- Diabetes drug can stave off leading cause of blindness - May 09, 2012
- How reovirus kills cancer cells - Feb 21, 2011
- Evidence of unusual drug-resistant breast tumours found - Oct 09, 2010
- Cataract surgery improves mood, sleep in Alzheimer's - Oct 26, 2011
- Vitamin B1 may treat common cause of blindness - Apr 24, 2009
- Umbilical cord cells may be useful in arthritis treatment - Nov 16, 2010
- Experimental non-steroidal treatment of asthma holds promise - Jul 02, 2010
- Finding paves way for new personalized treatments to target inflammation - Apr 05, 2011
- Protein that may fight against inflammatory disease identified - Oct 21, 2010
- New therapeutic target for asthma, other lung disorders identified - Apr 18, 2011
- Dutch varsity to do research in eye care in India - Aug 22, 2012
- Ill-effect of high-fat meal linked to belly fat - Feb 18, 2011
- New treatment could halt arthritis spread - Jul 31, 2012
- Men, women's immune systems respond differently to post-traumatic stress disorder - Apr 27, 2011
- Bone marrow cancer drug could be used to treat rheumatoid arthritis - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: american journal of pathology, appearance, blood vessel, cataract, conicet, inflammation, inflammatory eye disease, integrity, jet lag, journal of pathology, mechanisms, melatonin, national research council, nf, therapeutic effect, university of buenos aires, uveitis, vision loss