Mel Gibson’s Braveheart accent among Worst Accents in cinema historyMarch 14th, 2008 - 1:14 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, Mar 14 (ANI): Aussie actor Mel Gibsons Scottish accent in blockbuster movie Braveheart has been voted as one of the Worst Accents in cinema history.
Gibson secured the second position in the list, while the top honour went to French actor Christopher Lambert’s Scottish accent in the film Highlander.
In the survey carried out by film memorabilia website http://www.AsWornIn.com , Lambert’s attempts to mimic the Caledonian brogue as an immortal swordsman in the 1986 hit movie won the disapproval of 42 per cent of the 1700 Scots quizzed.
His defiant cries of “You can take our land - but you’ll never take our freedom” led 27 per cent to brand his Scots accent the worst ever to grace the silver screen.
Gibson’s performance as the hammer of the English in the 1995 movie Braveheart brought him worldwide acclaim.
Robin Williams’s appearance as a cross-dressing nanny in Mrs Doubtfire came in third place, with 16 per cent of respondents unconvinced by his attempts to change the way he speaks.
Others who got a mention include Jessica Lange as Mary MacGregor in Rob Roy; Michael Caine as Alan Beck in Kidnapped; Alec Guinness in Tunes of Glory; and Mike Myers in Shrek.
“An American audience is typically unaware of just how wide of the mark many of these attempts at Scottish accents are, The Daily Telegraph quoted Jeremy Angel, director of AsWornIn.com, as saying.
“It seemed entirely logical to ask the Scots how they rate these half-baked attempts to imitate their accent, Angel said. (ANI)
- Troubled Mel Gibson's Movie, 'The Beaver', Is Scheduled To Release In March 2011 - Dec 17, 2010
- Gibson's cockney accent impresses audience - May 05, 2011
- Gibson's 'The Hangover' cameo scrapped - Oct 22, 2010
- Mel Gibson Wishes To Give 1% Of His Monthly Expense To Daughter - Aug 22, 2010
- Mexican actor to be the new Zorro - Feb 18, 2012
- Cheryl Cole's accent leaves 80pc Brits confused - Aug 06, 2010
- Mel Gibson believes Braveheart paved way for devolution in Scotland - Oct 31, 2009
- Mel Gibson To Play The Role Of Bangkok Tattoo Artist In "The Hangover 2"? - Oct 20, 2010
- Mel Gibson presents extortion evidence to police - Jul 28, 2010
- Gibson loses half fortune in divorce settlement - Dec 24, 2011
- Lambert appointed Villa manager - Jun 02, 2012
- Mel Gibson to face girlfriend in courtroom - Nov 10, 2010
- Gibson's ex 'wants him to increase child support' - Aug 20, 2010
- Accents are a real turn-off for Scottish listeners - Nov 19, 2010
- Gentlemen's club in UK to finally welcome female members after 119-yrs - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: actor mel, alan beck, alec guinness, american audience, christopher lambert, cinema history, daily telegraph, film memorabilia, french actor, jessica lange, mary macgregor, mel gibson, mel gibsons, michael caine, mrs doubtfire, roy michael, scottish accent, scottish accents, tunes of glory, worldwide acclaim