Meira Kumar to address National Council of Older Persons meet todaySeptember 30th, 2008 - 8:29 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 30 (ANI): Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Meira Kumar will address a meeting of the National Council of Older Persons (NCOP) here today.
The agenda for the NCOP meeting includes discussion on the progress on the implementation of the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 and the revised grant-in aid scheme of Integrated Programme for Older Persons.
NCOP oversees the operationalisation of provisions under the National Policy on Older Persons (NPOP). It may be recalled that NPOP was adopted in the year 1999 which recognizes the need for financial security, health, nutrition, education, right to life and property and need-based care of older persons as paramount concerns.
October 1 is celebrated as International Day of Older Persons the world over.
On the occasion of International Day of Older Persons (IDOP), the Ministry has planned a series of events to reaffirm its commitment for the welfare of the older persons and highlight its efforts.
The Ministry is organising a walkathon at India Gate in the morning. Like in the past, this event will see participation of thousands of elderly from different parts of the city. This year, the Ministry has added another feature to the event by inviting participants from different States to give it an all India character. This event is being coordinated by Helpage India. (ANI)
- Mumbai marks World Diabetes Day - Nov 13, 2011
- Geriatric wards, national commission in offing for the elderly - Jun 18, 2010
- Meira Kumar flags off ''walkathon'' on International Day of Older Persons - Oct 01, 2008
- Walkathon spreads awareness on World Population Day - Jul 11, 2012
- Kerala children walk to support rural students - Sep 18, 2011
- Ishant Sharma, actress Matondkar participate in Delhi energy conservation walkathon - Oct 24, 2010
- New law to bring dignity to disabled: PM - Jun 17, 2011
- Bangaloreans walk for cause of differently-abled people - Dec 05, 2009
- Meira Kumar completes two years as Lok Sabha speaker (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Meira Kumar completes two years as Lok Sabha speaker - Jun 02, 2011
- Elderly walk Delhi streets on International Day of Older Persons - Oct 01, 2009
- Murli Deora flags off walkathon for 'Petrotech 2010' in New Delhi - Oct 24, 2010
- Walkathon marks World Health Day - Apr 07, 2012
- PM's wife to launch women's health campaign - Mar 07, 2011
- WCD Ministry committed towards socio-economic empowerment of women - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: aid scheme, empowerment, financial security, health nutrition, helpage india, india gate, integrated programme, meira kumar, New Delhi, nutrition education, paramount concerns, participants, participation, provisions, right to life, senior citizens, social justice, union minister, walkathon, welfare