Meira Kumar takes oath as first woman SpeakerJune 3rd, 2009 - 12:52 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 3 (ANI): Senior Congress leader Meira Kumar took oath as the first woman Speaker of the Lok Sabha today.
Kumar hails from the Dalit community and is better known as the daughter of former Deputy Prime Minister Babu Jagjivan Ram.
Born in Patna in 1945, she is law graduate and holds a Masters in English literature. She joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1973 and served at the embassies in Spain, United Kingdom and Mauritius.
Kumar was elected from Bijnor in Uttar Pradesh in 1985. She became Member of Parliament in the 11th and 12th Lok Sabha by contesting from Delhi’s Karol Bagh constituency.
In 1999, she lost her seat, but was re-elected by a record majority from Sasaram in Bihar in 2004.
In 2004, she was inducted into the first Manmohan Singh cabinet, as Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment.
On May 29, 2009, she assumed charge as the Union Minister for Water Resources in the newly elected UPA Government.
She is married to Manjul Kumar, a Supreme Court lawyer. The couple have three married children. (ANI)
- Meira Kumar's brief profile - May 30, 2009
- Meira Kumar files nomination for LS Speaker's post - Jun 02, 2009
- Meira Kumar to be unanimously elected Speaker in LS today - Jun 03, 2009
- Meira Kumar completes two years as Lok Sabha speaker - Jun 02, 2011
- Meira Kumar completes two years as Lok Sabha speaker (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Ex-diplomat, champion of Dalit cause, is first woman speaker (Profile) - Jun 02, 2009
- India gets its first woman speaker in Meira Kumar (Lead) - Jun 03, 2009
- Indian parliament elects its first woman speaker, Meira Kumar (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2009
- Woman power: MPs get dose of Speaker Meira Kumar's anger - Mar 08, 2011
- Brief profile of UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee - Jun 15, 2012
- Tributes paid to Babu Jagjivan Ram - Apr 05, 2010
- India set to have its first woman Lok Sabha speaker (Lead) - May 31, 2009
- Parliament light pillar of democracy: Meira Kumar (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Mayawati takes oath as Rajya Sabha member - Apr 24, 2012
- People deserve credit for democracy's success: Meira Kumar - May 13, 2012
Tags: bihar, bijnor, congress leader, constituency, deputy prime minister, english literature, first woman, indian foreign service, karol bagh, law graduate, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, meira kumar, member of parliament, patna, sasaram, supreme court lawyer, union minister, woman speaker