Meira Kumar flags off ”walkathon” on International Day of Older PersonsOctober 1st, 2008 - 4:17 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 1 (ANI): Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Meira Kumar here today flagged off a “walkathon” to promote inter-generational bonding on the occasion of International Day of Older Persons.
Emphasizing the need to sensitize the society at large about the needs of the older persons, Kumar said that the Government is very much concerned about the welfare and security of the older persons, especially those belonging to below poverty line and families residing in remote and rural areas.
She further added that the cooperation of NGOs and public, especially the youth is required to create an environment where older persons get respect, care and due affection.
The function was organised by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in collaboration with HelpAge India.
About 2,500 senior citizens and school children were participated in the event. Some girls from Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Hostel in Agartala were also participated. They later presented a dance performance on the occasion.
October 1 is observed all over the world as International Day of the Elderly. The basic idea behind the celebrations is to recognize the services rendered by the senior citizens and to reiterate the Government’’s commitment towards the cause of the elderly.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has been organising a series of programmes and felicitating the distinguished senior citizens with ”Vayoshreshta Samman”. (ANI)
- PM orders development of Ambedkar memorial - Oct 05, 2011
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Elderly walk Delhi streets on International Day of Older Persons - Oct 01, 2009
- Sedentary lifestyles affecting health of India's elderly (April 7 is World Health Day) - Apr 06, 2012
- Meira Kumar to address National Council of Older Persons meet today - Sep 30, 2008
- Nation pays homage to Bhimrao Ambedkar on his 120th birth anniversary - Apr 14, 2011
- Senior citizens can benefit society: Advani - Oct 02, 2011
- Social Justice and Empowernment Ministry utilizes over 97 percent of 2010-11 plan budget - Apr 03, 2011
- New law to bring dignity to disabled: PM - Jun 17, 2011
- Walkathon spreads awareness on World Population Day - Jul 11, 2012
- Murli Deora flags off walkathon for 'Petrotech 2010' in New Delhi - Oct 24, 2010
- Dementia, a 'silent tsunami' - Apr 11, 2012
- Delhi's elderly seek more security - Jun 15, 2011
- Mukul Wasnik opens sports meet of students with disabilities at Delhi University - Feb 05, 2011
- Recognise transgenders as separate gender group: Experts - May 12, 2012
Tags: affection, b r ambedkar, celebrations, collaboration, cooperation, dance performance, dr b r ambedkar, empowerment, flags, helpage india, meira kumar, New Delhi, ngos, poverty line, rural areas, senior citizens, social justice, union minister, walkathon, welfare