Mehbooba Mufti set to be re-elected PDP chiefOctober 25th, 2011 - 5:04 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 25 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir’s main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti is all set to get re-elected in the poll scheduled for Oct 31, a party leader said Tuesday.
Mehbooba Mufti has “emerged as one of the tallest leaders in the party and she has led the party from the front at every step, and as such is the natural choice for the post of president”, the leader told IANS.
Mehbooba Mufti first became the president of the party in 2003 and since then she has been continuing as its chief as the party is unanimous on the issue, party sources said.
She led the party campaign in 2002 assembly elections and propelled the party to form the government, despite the fact that the PDP won only 12 seats. In 2008 assembly elections, she led the party to improve its tally to 21, said a party leader.
The notification for the election to the party post was issued Tuesday by chairman of the election board of PDP Abdul Aziz Zargar.
Party legislators, senior leaders and district presidents form the electoral college.
There has been criticism in some quarters that Mehbooba Mufti virtually inherited the post from her father Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, the founder president of the party, though for a brief period in early 2003 Muzzaffar Hussain Beig was nominated as president.
- Mehbooba re-elected PDP president - Oct 31, 2011
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Hazare turning blind eye to corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba - Oct 07, 2011
- Yousuf's death has exposed rampant corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba Mufti (Interview) - Oct 09, 2011
- Omar spent three years saving chair: Mehbooba - Oct 17, 2011
- PDP stages protest march in Srinagar, demands Omar quit - Oct 05, 2011
- Omar thirsty for power, says Mehbooba - Mar 27, 2012
- Roots in Kashmir, PDP spreads branches in Jammu - May 03, 2010
- Committed to equal growth in all Kashmir regions: PDP - Nov 30, 2011
- Mehbooba Mufti, Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 31, 2011
- PDP marches to highlight corruption in Kashmir - Oct 24, 2011
- Pranab visits Kashmir on poll campaign - Jul 15, 2012
- Mehbooba to chalk out new strategy - Jan 25, 2011
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: abdul aziz, assembly elections, beig, democratic party, district presidents, election board, electoral college, founder president, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, legislators, mehbooba mufti, mohammad, natural choice, oct 31, party campaign, party leader, party sources, sayeed, tally