Mehbooba Mufti elected PDP legislature party leaderFebruary 11th, 2009 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 11 (IANS) Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti Wednesday vowed to play the role of a “constructive opposition” after being elected leader of her party in the 87-member Jammu and Kashmir assembly.The PDP is the largest opposition group with 21 legislators.
Talking to reporters, Mehbooba Mufti, 47, said the new position gave her more responsibilities.
“We will play the role of a constructive opposition. We would give enough space and time to the new government to deliver but we will not compromise on the issues affecting the people,” she said.
Mehbooba Mufti has been the PDP president since June 2003 and led the party in the 2004 parliamentary and 2008 assembly elections.
The ruling National Conference has 28 legislators and the Congress 17. The two jointly rule the country’s only Muslim-majority state.
- Mehbooba Mufti set to be re-elected PDP chief - Oct 25, 2011
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- 'Corruption is policy of Omar government' - Feb 24, 2012
- PDP walks out of Kashmir assembly over grave issue - Sep 27, 2011
- Roots in Kashmir, PDP spreads branches in Jammu - May 03, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir legislators vote for new president - Jul 19, 2012
- Omar spent three years saving chair: Mehbooba - Oct 17, 2011
- Mehbooba to chalk out new strategy - Jan 25, 2011
- Not much hope from all-party meet as PDP to stay away (News Analysis) - Jul 11, 2010
- Mehbooba re-elected PDP president - Oct 31, 2011
- Kashmir ombudsman selection panel meet again put off - Jul 18, 2011
- Opposition stages walkout in Kashmir assembly - Mar 01, 2011
- PDP marches to highlight corruption in Kashmir - Oct 24, 2011
- National Conference is party of the past, says PDP - May 24, 2011
- Yousuf's death has exposed rampant corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba Mufti (Interview) - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, congress, constructive opposition, democratic party, enough space, jammu, kashmir, legislators, mehbooba mufti, muslim majority, new position, opposition group, party leader, space and time