Mehbooba Mufti detained for leading protest march in SrinagarJune 2nd, 2009 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, June 2 (ANI): People’s Democratic Party (PDP) leader Mehbooba Mufti and her eight party MLAs were on Tuesday detained when they took out a protest march against the death of two women in Shopian in violation of prohibitory orders in the city.
Carrying placards with slogans like revoke Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), resolve Kashmir issue, punish the killers and we want justice, the PDP leaders took out a procession from party headquarters near Emporium Garden and marched on the streets of Lal Chowk and Budshah Chowk.
Mehbooba alleged that the statements of the victims’ kin were not taken into consideration by police.
“The judicial inquiry will probe the greater aspects of the case but police, as per law, should file an FIR based on the statement of the kin of the victims,” Mehbooba said.
She also criticised the government for imposing undeclared curfew in the valley and placing Hurriyat leaders under house arrest.
Kashmir remained tense following the death of two women. Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has ordered a judicial probe into the case on Monday. (ANI)
- PDP wants army special powers revoked in entire state - Nov 21, 2011
- PDP marches to highlight corruption in Kashmir - Oct 24, 2011
- Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar - Aug 02, 2011
- PDP stages sit in, wants probe into civilian killings - Jul 29, 2010
- PDP demands revocation of armed forces act - Apr 26, 2010
- Hazare turning blind eye to corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba - Oct 07, 2011
- PDP stages protest march in Srinagar, demands Omar quit - Oct 05, 2011
- Omar government telling lies, claims Mehbooba - Oct 29, 2011
- Centre silent on misdeeds of Omar government: PDP - Nov 15, 2011
- Protest over death of two Kashmiri women continues in valley, PDP suggests FIR - Jun 05, 2009
- Yousuf's death has exposed rampant corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba Mufti (Interview) - Oct 09, 2011
- Autonomy cannot solve Kashmir issue: Mehbooba Mufti - Aug 12, 2010
- Mehbooba seeks positive approach on Kashmir problem - Aug 29, 2012
- Disturbances continue in Srinagar - Jun 22, 2009
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: chief minister, chowk, curfew, emporium, fir, house arrest, judicial inquiry, judicial probe, kashmir, lal, mehbooba mufti, mlas, party headquarters, pdp, placards, procession, protest march, slogans, srinagar, two women