Meghalaya village declared cleanest in AsiaJanuary 30th, 2009 - 9:22 pm ICT by ANI
Mawlynnong (Shillong), Jan.30 (ANI): Mawlynnong, a small settlement located 75 kilometres from Shillong in Meghalaya, has earned the unique distinction of being declared the cleanest village in entire Asia.
The exclusive recognition has been conferred on the hamlet by a team of experts from the famous travel and tourism journal, ”Discovery India”.
Residents of this beautifully located village keep their surrounding clean by voluntarily performing all the civic duties such as sweeping the roads and lanes, watering the plants in public area, cleaning drains etc.
“All the people living in this village together take an effort to keep the village clean and tidy. Even small children help us to keep the village clean. These children never litter garbage around. They always make it a point to keep the village clean,” said Leaderfiels Khongwit, a villager.
Dustbins crafted from bamboo canes are placed at important points in the village, and to supplement the beauty of their tiny cottages, the locals here foster different flowers in front of their houses and also in the backyards.
The serene beauty of Mawlynnong has now made it a popular tourist spot for holiday-makers.
“Cleanliness and awareness of the people of this village has really made me wonder, how these people living in such a remote area can be so aware about their surroundings. These people are far more civilised then many of us,” said Sukanya Dey, a holiday maker from Kolkata. (ANI)
- Mawlynnong in Meghalaya- Asia's cleanest village - Feb 10, 2009
- Dravid takes break in Shillong after IPL - May 27, 2011
- Whistleblowers with a difference - on 'clean Shimla' mission (Letter from Shimla) - Aug 14, 2012
- Islamabad launches major cleanliness campaign - May 14, 2011
- More than half Welsh people make excuses for littering: Study - Jan 11, 2011
- No forced closure of shops during Games: Dikshit - Aug 31, 2010
- Nirmal Gram: Bringing a cleanliness revolution to India's villages - Jun 06, 2011
- Vrindavan cleaning drive rides on corporate support (With Images) - Apr 21, 2011
- Now, a fine for littering in Islamabad - Aug 17, 2011
- Saucy poster for Brit clean up streets campaign branded "too dirty" - Jul 20, 2010
- Kolkata civic body on overdrive to contain dengue - Sep 06, 2012
- Spiritual group prepares to clean entire Ganges - Jun 17, 2012
- UK Ford drivers most likely to throw litter - Oct 05, 2009
- May 5 is World Hand Hygiene Day - May 04, 2012
- Google maps ancient Arctic village - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: backyards, bamboo canes, civic duties, cleanliness, dey, discovery india, drains, entire asia, hamlet, holiday maker, holiday makers, kilometres, locals, serene beauty, shillong, sukanya, team of experts, tourist spot, travel and tourism, villager