Media coverage leads officials to capture pythons hibernating in a UP villageJanuary 5th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by admin
Bakharia Village (Uttar Pradesh), Jan 5 (ANI): It was only after intense media coverage in local news channels that led to officials of the State Forest Department to send a team to a remote village of Bakharia in Basti district of Uttar Pradesh to capture over half a dozen pythons which were found hibernating in the village.
For the last eight months, eight pythons were found dwelling in one of the villager’s homes. Consequently, the entire community was living under fear and limited their movement outside their home.
“Despite repeated complaints, nobody from the forest department came here. Only when the media intervened and my complaints were shown by news channels and the press, the forest department came to catch these pythons,” said Ramji Mishra, owner of the house from where pythons were caught by Forest officials.
Aided by a professional snake catcher, officials on Saturday caught six out of eight pythons from a house here.
“Six pythons have been caught. We went there with our team and the snakes were found in hibernation mode hidden amidst foliage. We have now caught each and every python and ensure that there is none there anymore,” said NK Singh, Zonal director, Forest department.
However, officials of the forest department have denied the allegation, and said that they did not get any information about the pythons before this.
It is also alleged that there are many more such villages in the district, where pythons are taking shelter and the forest department is completely ignoring the fact. (ANI)
- Tiger on prowl near Lucknow finally trapped - Apr 25, 2012
- Injured 12-foot long python retrieved in Purulia - Nov 22, 2010
- Indian farmers dump bags of snakes in tax office - Nov 30, 2011
- Python caught near Madhya Pradesh chief minister's house - Aug 08, 2011
- Two colleges near Agra bird sanctuary fined Rs.10 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- Four held with snakes of endangered species - May 11, 2011
- Forest officials rescue python in Durgapur - Oct 02, 2010
- Mathura tiger eludes, may be close to Rajasthan border - Oct 07, 2010
- 30 peacocks die in Greater Noida - Aug 07, 2012
- Man arrested for trying to smuggle 50 snakes on a plane - Nov 17, 2011
- 18 feet python found in Florida - Aug 14, 2012
- Now, an all India guide map on snakes - Mar 15, 2012
- In Sabarimala, a season of crowds, snakes and pickpockets - Jan 09, 2012
- Monster python caught with 20kg goat in stomach in Malaysia - Jan 07, 2010
- Snake stolen from Mumbai zoo - May 29, 2011
Tags: allegation, eight months, entire community, fear, foliage, forest officials, half a dozen, hibernating, intense media coverage, local news channels, nk singh, python, pythons, snake catcher, snakes, state forest department, uttar pradesh, villager