MDMK protest against military offensive in Sri LankaJanuary 28th, 2009 - 9:00 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Jan.28 (ANI): The Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) criticized the Center over External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee’’s visit to Colombo after the Sri Lankan army’’s successful operation against the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam).
Hundreds of MDMK activists took to streets here to protest against the Sri Lankan militarys offensive against the Tamil rebels.
MDMKs general secretary Y. Gopalaswamy(Vaiko), while criticizing Mukherjees visit to Sri Lanka said that he (Mukherjee) had actually gone to Colombo to participate in the victory celebrations of the Sri Lankan government over the Tamil rebels.
Blaming the Center for conspiring with the Sri Lankan government for waging a war against Tamils in Northern Province of the island nation, Vaiko urged the Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa to stop the offensive against innocent Tamils in Sri Lanka.
“He (Mahinda Rajapaksa) should stop the killings, unless he stops the killings, he stops the bombardment, he has no right to speak about the Tamils, Vaiko said.
Similar protest was also witnessed in Coimbatore, where scores of MDMK activists staged a demonstration and shouted slogans against the Center and Sri Lankan governments. (ANI)
- Rajapaksa visit: Vaiko, supporters detained - Sep 21, 2012
- MDMK activists protest Centre's invitation to Sri Lankan president Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- Rajapaksa to meet Manmohan Thursday - Sep 19, 2012
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- Vaiko taken into preventive custody ahead of Rajapaksa visit - Jun 08, 2010
- Tamil leader Vaiko criticises New Delhi''s Sri Lankan policy - Feb 18, 2009
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Vaiko condemns special treatment for Lankan president at Tirupati - Jan 01, 2010
- Rajapaksa, Manmohan to meet for talks - Sep 20, 2012
- Centre should take tough stand on Lankan Navy attacks: Vaiko - Aug 13, 2010
- Vaiko leads anti-Sri Lanka rally in Coimbatore - Mar 20, 2009
Tags: bombardment, coimbatore, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, general secretary, island nation, jan 28, killings, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, mahinda rajapaksa, northern province, pranab mukherjee, sri lankan army, sri lankan government, sri lankan president, tamil rebels, tamils, vaiko, victory celebrations, waging a war