McCain not laughing over Tina Feys Palin impersonationsOctober 11th, 2008 - 1:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct.11 (ANI): Television star Tina Feys humorous impersonations of vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live (SNL) may be no laughing matter for Palins running mate, Senator John McCain, says Lauren Feldman, an expert on the political effects of late-night comedy.
When audiences are exposed to political humor or satire, they are less likely to oppose the information in the message or question whether it is fair or accurate, says Feldman, an assistant professor at American Universitys School of Communication.
Relative to more traditional direct attacks in political ads, political jokes and other comedic portrayals that paint candidates in a negative light present greater opportunity for negative information to seep into the audiences consciousness. Ultimately, it can affect the perceptions of a candidate, adds Feldman
Because Feys sketches accentuate Palins folksy persona, her interview and debate performances, and her g-dropping, gosh darnit speaking style, they are likely to make Palins negative traits and image characteristics more top-of-mind for viewers. This, Feldman says, can indirectly contribute to a more unfavorable rating of the McCain-Palin ticket.
So, will SNL swing the election? According to Feldman, probably not.
Feldman says. At the very least, by making the campaign front-and-center in its sketches, SNL might help raise attention to the campaign among viewers who otherwise would ignore it. (ANI)
- 67 percent Americans doubt Palin's presidential qualifications, finds poll - Oct 31, 2010
- Tina Fey, Sarah Palin Impressionist, Wins Mark Twain Humor Award - May 26, 2010
- Palin's favorability ratings drop to new low: Poll - Mar 17, 2011
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- Tina Fey to receive top U.S. award for humour - May 26, 2010
- Poll: More than 6 in 10 would not vote for Trump, Palin - Apr 27, 2011
- Tina Fey honored with the Mark Twain prize - Nov 12, 2010
- 'Joe the Plumber' Democratically Elected As Local Republican Party Delegate In Ohio - May 08, 2010
- Palin''s fading star appeal now hurting McCain''s presidential dreams - Oct 09, 2008
- Sarah Palin beats John McCain in ''Saturday Night Live'' ratings - Nov 03, 2008
- "Sarah Palin's Alaska" Premieres On TLC - Nov 15, 2010
- McCain opts out of 2012 GOP presidential candidature endorsements - Feb 04, 2011
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in new movie 'Game Change' - Apr 28, 2011
- McCain returning to Saturday Night Live show - Nov 01, 2008
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: assistant professor, campaign front, image characteristics, impersonations, john mccain, laughing matter, negative traits, night comedy, oct 11, political ads, political humor, political jokes, portrayals, presidential candidate, running mate, sarah palin, saturday night live, senator john mccain, television star, tina feys