McCain may announce veep choice on ThursdayAugust 26th, 2008 - 3:24 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug 26 (ANI): Republican presidential nominee John McCain may announce his choice for a running mate earlier than expected.
McCain had previously said he would announce his vice presidential pick on Friday and would appear with that individual at a rally in Dayton, Ohio, following the announcement.
But sources close to McCains campaign told FOX News that his decision may come sooner than that - possibly on Thursday, when Barack Obama accepts the Democratic nomination at Invesco field in Denver, Colo.
McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds diminished the news.
I wouldnt much weight into reports that there are windows of possibility, he said.
Several names have come up repeatedly as McCains possible running mate, including former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, former Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge and, perhaps, Democrat-turned-independent Joe Lieberman of Connecticut.
Also named is General David Petraeus, the incoming head of Central Command.
McCains camp last month floated the idea that he would announce a running mate while Barack Obama, the expected Democratic presidential nominee, traveled overseas to demonstrate his foreign policy chops.
Obamas trip was widely covered in the press, but McCains campaign was able to draw attention back to the Arizona senator, who never ended up naming his choice. (ANI)
- Was Sarah Palin added to John McCain's 'short list' for gender balance? - Mar 13, 2011
- Romney creates history in clinching Republican nomination (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Mitt Romney clinches Republican nomination - May 30, 2012
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in a movie - Mar 10, 2011
- Pawlenty becomes first GOP 2012 Presidential contender to announce intention to run - Mar 22, 2011
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Bobby Jindal defends Romney on offshore investments - Jul 09, 2012
- After five-state sweep, Romney readies to battle Obama (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Mitt Romney is backed by Kelly Ayotte - Nov 23, 2011
- Romney picks conservative Paul Ryan as running mate - Aug 11, 2012
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Democrats not happy with Romney's first TV ad - Nov 22, 2011
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- US Democrat Geraldine passes away, aged 75 - Mar 27, 2011
- Bobby Jindal blasts Obama, helps Romney - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: barack obama, democratic presidential nominee, governor mitt romney, governor tim pawlenty, governor tom ridge, joe lieberman, mccain campaign, minnesota governor tim pawlenty, mitt romney, tim pawlenty