McCain leads Obama 45 percent to 42 percent in latest Fox News pollSeptember 11th, 2008 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept.11 (ANI): Republican John McCain continues to maintain a slim lead over Democratic rival Barack Obama, almost two weeks after the Republican convention in St. Paul, Minnesota.
According to a Fox News poll, McCain leads Obama by 45 percent to 42 percent. Independents too are backing McCain by 15 percentage points (46 percent to 31 percent). Last month, Obama had a one-point edge among independents.
Before the Democratic convention in Denver, Obama led McCain by 42 percent to 39 percent.
According to the poll, Independents are twice as likely to say McCain is “very qualified” to be president, and in addition, he has an 11-point edge among men.
McCain also leads Obama among white voters (50 percent - 36 percent), voters 55 years and over (45 percent - 37 percent), white Evangelical Christians (61 percent - 25 percent) and gun owners (56 percent - 27 percent).
Obama bests McCain among women (45 percent - 41 percent), moderates (48 percent - 35 percent) and black voters (76 percent - 13 percent).
McCain also has the support of 88 percent of Republicans, while Obama has the support of 79 percent.
The poll also says that there is a big change in which candidate voters think will win.
In July, nearly twice as many said they thought Obama would win (51 percent to 27 percent). Today, views are evenly divided: 41 percent believe Obama will win and 40 percent say McCain.
About one in seven voters is still undecided about their vote for president, and these are the voters who will likely determine who occupies the White House.
The results show undecided voters may be more apt to pull the lever for McCain.
All in all, by 50 percent to 34 percent voters would pick McCain for advice on this tough decision. (ANI)
- Obama, Romney locked in close race: polls - Aug 25, 2012
- Americans evenly divided over Bush vs Obama - Oct 09, 2010
- Obama needs Palin on the same ticket to win Arizona in 2012 - Feb 03, 2011
- Obama has 5 point lead over Romney: Poll - Sep 10, 2012
- Obama ahead of McCain going into convention - Aug 22, 2008
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama establishes seven point lead over McCain - Oct 11, 2008
- 2010 Congressional election remains close, 2012 split evenly - May 13, 2010
- Obama retakes lead over McCain: CBS/NYT poll - Sep 18, 2008
- Obama leads in three swing states: poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Latino voters sticking with Obama, Democrats: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Obama trails in swing states: Opinion poll - Dec 14, 2011
- Obama leads McCain by seven percentage points ahead of poll day - Nov 04, 2008
- Poll claims independent voters 'disappointed' and 'angry' with Obama administration - Jul 08, 2010
- Obama expands national lead over Republican rivals: Poll - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: barack obama, bests, democratic convention, evangelical christians, fox news, gun owners, independents, john mccain, news poll, percentage points, point edge, republican convention, republican john mccain, republicans, sept 11, st paul minnesota, undecided voters, vote for president, white house