Mayawati writes to PM to increase BPL quota for Uttar PradeshJune 12th, 2009 - 8:04 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, June 12 (ANI): Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati has written a letter to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh requesting him to increase Below Poverty Line quota for her State.
Drawing the PM’s attention towards her previous letter sent to him last October on increasing the BPL quota for the State, Mayawati said that the issue of increasing the BPL quota had been pending since long with the Central Government.
Mayawati, in her latest letter, has sought relief for a large number of poor families.
She has stated that surveys in Uttar Pradesh indicated that there was a substantial variation between ground realities and numbers assigned to the State by the Central Government.
The number of poor people was significantly higher in reality, and there was an urgent need to include them in BPL list, Maywati stressed in her letter.
Mayawati has said that the 2002 survey had provided for an additional BPL quota of 10 per cent as a Transient Poor category. However, the State could not get the benefit of this additional quota of 10.6 lakh families, which could have partly mitigated the needs of the State’s poor.
Mayawati has requested the Prime Minister to direct the new expert committee set up by the Union Government to develop criteria and a process of identifying poverty, to look into this critical issue, which is likely to impact millions of urban migrants. (ANI)
- Will delay in poverty survey affect food security bill? - Apr 10, 2012
- Raise UP's quota of Haj pilgrims: Akhilesh - Jun 21, 2012
- Action against fake poor in Tripura - Jul 31, 2012
- UP lodges cases against 176 fraudulent Haj applicants - Jul 09, 2012
- Reconsider Rs.32 limit for poverty: Mayawati - Oct 03, 2011
- Jayalalithaa urges PM to raise kerosene quota - Jun 11, 2012
- Maya stokes Jat fire in west UP - Feb 22, 2012
- Planning Commission hiding Indian poverty: CPI-M - Mar 20, 2012
- Mayawati seeks reservation for upper caste poor - Sep 18, 2011
- Mamata to ask PM to accept Bengal's BPL list - Jun 08, 2012
- Congress attacks Mayawati over Muslim quota - Dec 19, 2011
- Over one lakh 'fake' poor in Tripura: Congress - Jun 26, 2011
- Rice at Rs.2 a kg for poor in Tripura: Sarkar - Jul 12, 2012
- BPL survey to have exclusion, inclusion criteria: Officials - May 19, 2011
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: benefit, central government, chief minister, critical issue, dr manmohan singh, expert committee, ground realities, impact millions, manmohan, manmohan singh, migrants, poor families, poverty line, prime minister, quota, substantial variation, surveys, union government, uttar pradesh chief minister mayawati