Mayawati says Sonia Gandhi’’s jail going threat is political dramaOctober 15th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct.15 (ANI): Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati on Wednesday described Congress president Sonia Gandhi’’s challenge that she was ready to go to jail if not allowed into her constituency Rae Bareli as political drama.
Criticising the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) for their step-motherly treatment of Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati denied that she was playing politics through her decision to cancel the allotment of land for building a Railway Coach Factory that was to be inaugurated by Gandhi on Tuesday.
Irked by Sonia Gandhis remarks, Mayawati termed her allegations as baseless.
Mayawati said that the railway coach factory in Rae Bareli was part of a political conspiracy to mislead the poor, specially the residents of the constituency.
Congress thinks of setting up a rail coach factory in Rae Bareli only a few months before Lok Sabha elections, she said.
Denying allegations of Sonia Gandhi that her government was against development, she added that the Congress has put impediments in schemes like Ganga and Yamuna expressways.
Congress is worried only about Rae Bareli but I am worried about the whole of Uttar Pradesh, said the UP chief minister.
On Tuesday, a prohibitory order banned Sonia from holding a public meeting in Lalganj, but it couldn”t gag the Rae Bareli MP and Congress chief.
“This place is now my home. I don”t have to seek anyone’’s permission to come here. No one can stop me from visiting Rae Bareli,” she said at Lalganj railway station, accusing Mayawati of obstructing progress by cancelling the land allocation for a rail coach factory nearby.
The area, she said, was the “karmabhoomi” of the Nehru-Gandhi family and after Rajiv Gandhi, the mantle to nurse it had fallen on her and Rahul. Local residents gaped in awe as a defiant Sonia drove into Lalganj on Tuesday afternoon to take on Mayawati’’s might.
Rescheduling her itinerary during her brief four-hour stay, the Congress president settled for an impromptu road show which took her to Balhemau Usar farm the contentious site for the coach factory.
Defying the prohibitory order imposed by Mayawati, Sonia Gandhi said she was prepared to even go to jail if needed. When asked how she would respond to Mayawati’’s cancelling the land allocation for the coach factory, she indicated the state leadership would carry forward the agitation. “They are capable of taking the issue to the public and launch a stir,” Sonia said as senior party leaders from the UP unit sheepishly nodded in unison. (ANI)
- Mayawati returns land for rail project in Rae Bareli - Oct 18, 2008
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi to visit Rae Bareli - May 10, 2011
- Mayawati slams opposition, says Rahul is helpless - May 12, 2011
- As parties play politics of land, divides deepen (Roundup) - May 12, 2011
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- UPA aims at women's self-reliance: Sonia - May 11, 2011
- UP allots land for AIIMS in Rae Bareli town - Aug 13, 2012
- Mayawati slams opposition conspiracy, says Rahul helpless (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi begins two-day Rae Bareli visit - Feb 04, 2011
- Lalu Prasad, Sonia in Rae Bareli to launch rail coach factory - Jan 27, 2009
- UPA aims at women's self reliance: Sonia (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Vote for change, Priyanka Gandhi urges UP voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Challenging Mayawati, Sonia Gandhi says Rae Bareli is my `Karma Bhoomi'' - Oct 14, 2008
Tags: chief minister, coach factory, congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, expressways, ganga, land allocation, lok sabha elections, nehru gandhi, playing politics, political conspiracy, political drama, progressive alliance, rae bareli, railway coach, railway station, rajiv gandhi, sonia gandhis, uttar pradesh chief minister mayawati, yamuna