Mayawati returns land for rail project in Rae BareliOctober 18th, 2008 - 8:33 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Oct 18 (ANI): Bahujan Samaj Party chief and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati today withdrew her decision to cancel land allotment for the rail coach factory in Rae Bareli, which is Congress President Sonia Gandhi’’s constituency.
The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet today decided to return the land for the project at Lalganj town.
The BSP chief said that 189 acres of land at Rae Bareli would be given to the Railways on lease for 90 years.
On Sunday, Mayawati had announced cancellation of land allotment, a day before Gandhi was to attend a rally for a ground-breaking ceremony.
State authorities had cited resentment among displaced farmers as the reason for the cancellation of the land deal.
Mayawati said that the railway coach factory in Rae Bareli was part of a political conspiracy to mislead the poor, specially the residents of the constituency.
On Monday, the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court had directed the state and the Centre to maintain the status quo on the land allotted to the Railways for setting up of a rail coach factory in Rae Bareli.
On Tuesday, a prohibitory order banned Sonia from holding a public meeting in Lalganj, but it couldn””t gag the Rae Bareli MP and Congress chief.
“This place is now my home. I don””t have to seek anyone”’’s permission to come here. No one can stop me from visiting Rae Bareli,” she said at Lalganj railway station, accusing Mayawati of obstructing progress by cancelling the land allocation for a rail coach factory nearby.
The area, she said, was the “karmabhoomi” of the Nehru-Gandhi family and after Rajiv Gandhi, the mantle to nurse it had fallen on her and Rahul. Local residents gaped in awe as a defiant Sonia drove into Lalganj on Tuesday afternoon to take on Mayawati”’’s might.
Rescheduling her itinerary during her brief four-hour stay, the Congress president settled for an impromptu road show, which took her to Balhemau Usar farm the contentious site for the coach factory. (ANI)
- Mayawati says Sonia Gandhi''s jail going threat is political drama - Oct 15, 2008
- Sonia Gandhi to visit Rae Bareli - May 10, 2011
- UP allots land for AIIMS in Rae Bareli town - Aug 13, 2012
- Mayawati slams opposition, says Rahul is helpless - May 12, 2011
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Mayawati slams opposition conspiracy, says Rahul helpless (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Mayawati backtracks, to provide land for Rae Bareli railway project - Oct 18, 2008
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Lalu Prasad, Sonia in Rae Bareli to launch rail coach factory - Jan 27, 2009
- Sonia Gandhi begins two-day Rae Bareli visit - Feb 04, 2011
- As parties play politics of land, divides deepen (Roundup) - May 12, 2011
- Sonia takes on Mayawati, set for jail if need be - Oct 14, 2008
- UP cops accidentally kill youth - Sep 01, 2012
- UPA aims at women's self-reliance: Sonia - May 11, 2011
Tags: allahabad high court, bahujan samaj party, chief minister, coach factory, congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, constituency, ground breaking ceremony, land allocation, land allotment, lucknow, nehru gandhi, party chief, political conspiracy, rae bareli, railway coach, railway station, rajiv gandhi, state authorities, uttar pradesh chief minister mayawati