Maya Kodnani sent to judicial custodyApril 9th, 2009 - 7:12 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad, Apr 9 (ANI): Rejecting an application of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) for extending the police remand of former Gujarat Minister Maya Kodnani, a local court sent her to judicial custody on Thursday.
Kodnani, an accused in 2002 riot case, was produced before the court by the SIT after the expiry of her four-day police remand.
Special Public Prosecutor VP Atre on behalf of the SIT, submitted before the Metropolitan Magistrate G M Patel that Kodnani was not cooperating with the investigation and not answering questions properly.
Atre argued that since Kodnani was given seven days police remand in the Naroda Gam case, she should be given an equal number of days in police custody in the Naroda Patiya case for interrogation.
However, the court dismissed the application of the prosecution saying that they were seeking further remand in the case on same grounds on which previous remand was granted.
The court held that enough time was given to the SIT for interrogating Kodnani in the Naroda Patiya case.
In the Naorda Patiya case, 95 people were killed and 38 injured during the post-Godhra riots.
SIT was formed by the Supreme Court to reinvestigate nine post-Godhra riot cases in Gujarat. (ANI)
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Kodnani conviction shows rule of law in Gujarat: BJP - Sep 01, 2012
- Godhra riots: Gujarat HC issues notice to Maya Kodnani - Feb 24, 2009
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Gujarat riot victims hail life terms for accused - Aug 31, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Ahmedabad court extends police remand of Mayaben Kodnani, Jaideep Patel till April 4 - Apr 01, 2009
- Mayaben Kodnani's police custody ends today - Apr 01, 2009
- Gujarat HC rejects Maya Kodnani's bail plea - Mar 27, 2009
- BJP downplays ex-Gujarat minister's conviction - Aug 29, 2012
- Supreme Court orders SIT to probe role of Modi, 63 others in post-Godhra riot cases - Apr 27, 2009
- Riot tainted Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani granted bail - May 19, 2009
- Naroda witnesses happy with court verdict (With Image) - Aug 29, 2012
- Supreme Court orders retrial of Gujarat riots by fast track courts - May 01, 2009
Tags: answering questions, atre, expiry, godhra riots, gujarat minister, interrogation, investigation team, judicial custody, local court, magistrate, police custody, police remand, prosecution, public prosecutor, riot, seven days, supreme court, vp