Massive landslide kills at least five people in SiliguriAugust 16th, 2009 - 11:33 pm ICT by ANI
Siliguri (West Bengal), Aug 16(ANI): At least five people were killed in West Bengal’s Siliguri district in a massive landslide, which was triggered by incessant overnight rains, officials said on Sunday.
“Last night, it rained heavily in Kerseong sub-division and due to this there were heavy landslides and five people have even lost their lives,” said Dibendu Das, Sub-Divisional Officer of Kurseong.
The landslide also blocked the National Highway No.55 leading to Darjeeling, as huge boulders rolled down the hill slopes, cutting off the road and a rail track of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railways, a world heritage site.
“This big rock which you are seeing has blocked the road and the rail route,” said Madan Chettri, a resident of neighbouring Pagla Jhora village.
Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has begun rescue work and has deployed heavy machinery and bulldozers to clear off the derbies.
According to officials, normalcy is expected to be restored after 10 days. (ANI)
- Landslide disrupts supply lines between Siliguri, Darjeeling - Jun 16, 2010
- Quake kills 10, injures over 200 in Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Sikkim cut off from West Bengal due to landslide - Jun 11, 2010
- Two killed in landslide - Mar 27, 2011
- Quake kills six, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- 35 killed, hundreds injured in Sunday's quake in north, east India - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake kills four, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Five die in landslides in West Bengal - Aug 16, 2009
- Landslides kill four, snap links to Sikkim - Jun 17, 2011
- Seven die in West Bengal landslides (Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Heavy rains hit West Bengal, six killed (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2011
- Tuskers trample couple to death in Bengal - Jul 11, 2011
- Shutdown disrupts life in Darjeeling hills - Feb 09, 2011
- Landslide disrupts toy train services in Darjeeling - Aug 07, 2010
- Over 80,000 affected in north Bengal floods - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: border roads, boulders, bro, bulldozers, derbies, divisional officer, heavy machinery, landslides, massive landslide, normalcy, overnight rains, pagla, railways, village border, west bengal, world heritage site