Marsh and McDermott junior in Australia under-19 squadMarch 2nd, 2009 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, March 2 (IANS) Mitchell Marsh and Alister McDermott are ready to carry on the legacy of their famous cricketing fathers with both being selected for the 15-man under-19 Australian squad for the series against India next month.
The 17-year-old Mitchell, son of famous Australian batsman Geoff Marsh, is a right-hand batsman and the youngest Marsh to represent Western Australia at Under-17 and Under-19 level.
Mitchell, whose elder brother Shaun has already made his debut in the ODI team last year, has already broken the season record for most runs in the Perth schools competition, the Darlot Cup, where he scored 739 runs at 105.57.
Fast bowling prospect Alister has already emulated his famous cricketing father Craig by making his debut for Queensland on Boxing Day at the age of 17. And is now ready to make his mark at the international stage as well.
Alister, who with his flame hair and freckles not only looks but also bowls uncannily like his father, already boasts a best of 6-6 off six overs as a 13-year-old playing for Surfers Paradise in an under 15 competition.
Both Alister and Mitchell are also among the 31 probables for the 2010 Under-19 World Cup.
On the squad, National Youth Selection Panel Chairman Geoff Tamblyn said: “The squad to face India provides a great opportunity to all players selected to test their skills and performance against the reigning world champions at under-19 level.”
“The squad contains some players who have had a little taste of first-class cricket in Australia and will provide those players and others with further experience.”
The squad for the series against India will assemble in Hobart, April 4.
Under-19 squad to play India: Sean Abbott, Tim Armstrong, Tom Beaton, Jackson Coleman, Adam Coyte, Luke Doran, Jason Floros, Joel Garrett Josh Hazlewood, Nic Maddinson, Mitchell Marsh, Alister McDermott, Kane Richardson, Tom Triffitt, Adam Zampa.
Preliminary World Cup squad: Sean Abbott, Tim Armstrong, Tom Beaton, Tom Brinsley, Nicholas Buchanan, Alex Carey, Jackson Coleman, Adam Coyte, Travis Dean, Anthony Del Borrello, Matthew Dixon, Luke Doran, Jason Floros, Joel Garrett, Jake Hannan, Peter Hanscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Michael Johnson, Alex Keath, Nic Maddinson, Mitchell Marsh, Alister McDermott, Jordan McLennan, Ryan Meyer, Kane Richardson, Angus Robson, Andrew Tazelaar, Tom Triffitt, Sam Whiteman, Adam Zampa.
- Australia revamp Hong Kong Sixes squad - Oct 25, 2011
- Australia, Pakistan eyeing for record in U-19 World Cup - Jan 29, 2010
- All 16 squads announced for ICC U19 Cricket World Cup - Dec 24, 2009
- Australia beat Pakistan to win U-19 cricket World Cup - Jan 30, 2010
- India colts beat Australia by 187 runs - Apr 09, 2009
- Ponting to play in Tasmania's Sheffield Shield opener - Oct 08, 2011
- Final squads of 11 teams for Champions League named - Aug 22, 2011
- McDermott hailed for turning around Australian pace attack - Dec 29, 2011
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
- 16 teams named for next month's U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 12, 2012
- Canadian Celebrity, Dean McDermott, Becomes A Citizen Of The US - Aug 22, 2010
- Beaton's ton puts Australian colts on top against India - Apr 11, 2009
- Australia wins under-19 World Cup by beating Pakistan by 25 runs - Jan 30, 2010
- Feds arrest, charge California man with threatening WA Congressman McDermott - Jan 13, 2011
- Tori Spelling names daughter - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: alister, beaton, boxing day, class cricket, coyte, doran, elder brother, freckles, hand batsman, hazlewood, international stage, little taste, mcdermott, melbourne march, mitchell marsh, panel chairman, selection panel, surfers paradise, tim armstrong, world champions