Maoists kill 11 Jharkhand policemen in twin attacksJune 13th, 2009 - 11:45 pm ICT by ANI
Bokaro (Jharkhand), June 13 (ANI): In a repeat of Friday’s violence, maoists killed at least 11 policemen and injured eight others in an attack at Nawadih and Fushro areas in Jharkhand’s Bokaro district on Saturday afternoon.
According to Bokaro Superintendent of Police, L. P. Singh, two policemen were killed at Fushro in an encounter during an abortive attempt by the ultras to rob a bank while nine police sleuths were killed at Nawadih, when an anti-landmine vehicle, carrying additional force to Fushro, was blown up.
Over 50 Maoists, including women, who were waiting near the State Bank of India branch at Fushro bazar, fired on two members of the police escort party, when the latter emerged from the bank after depositing the money.
Though two police escorts giving protection to the bank employees ferrying money from another branch died on the spot, others continued encounter with Maoists, who fled the spot having failed to loot the bank.
The Maoists also blew up an anti-landmine vehicle at Sarubeda between Nawadih and Bermo killing nine Special Auxiliary Force (SAF) personnel and wounding four others, the SP informed.
The SAF men were being rushed to Fushro, about 30 km from Nawadih, as reinforcement at the encounter site.
Six of them died on the spot, two on way to Bokaro General Hospital and one succumbed during treatment.
The vehicle blew up when it was over a culvert which had a powerful landmine planted underneath, Singh said.
Asked how so many people died despite it being an anti-landmine vehicle, a top police officer pleading anonymity said possibly its doors were not properly closed.
Saturday’s attack was the eighth on the police by Maoists in Jharkhand this year with the last one being on Wednesday when 11 securitymen had lost their lives in a landmine blast in West Singhbhum district. (ANI)
- Massive anti-naxal combing operation launched in Jharkhand - Jun 13, 2009
- Maoists' violence kills 9 policemen in Jharkhand - Jun 12, 2009
- 10 securitymen die in Maoist landmine blast (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- 10 Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Two deadly attacks in Chhatttisgarh, 15 cops killed (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists shot policemen in head, burnt two - Jan 22, 2012
- 11 policemen killed by Maoists in Jharkhand - Jun 12, 2009
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- 13 Jharkhand policemen killed in Maoist ambush - Jan 21, 2012
- Three LIC officials killed in road accident - Aug 28, 2010
- Maoists kill 13 security personnel in Jharkhand (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 12, 2009
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast - Aug 07, 2012
- Chhattisgarh Maoists step up attacks to taunt army, say experts - Jun 11, 2011
- Bihar officials in Maoist areas alerted (Lead) - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: abortive attempt, anonymity, auxiliary force, bank of india, bermo, culvert, general hospital, landmine blast, maoists, police escort, police escorts, police officer, policemen, reinforcement, saturday afternoon, sleuths, state bank, state bank of india, state bank of india branch, ultras