Maoists creating hurdles against developmental works in Bastar regionNovember 28th, 2009 - 7:19 pm ICT by ANI
Bastar (Chattisgarh), Nov 28 (ANI): The tribal dominated Chattisgarh has always been little away from the development activities due in accessibility and now because of the Maoists threat.
The tough terrain made it difficult to reach the people and developmental activities could not start.
The government has announced a lot of developmental schemes, like construction of roads, building of schools, colleges, water supply but the Maoists are putting hurdles in implementing these projects.
Naxal elements do not want the area to be developed as it impinges on their area of activity. The Naxals have put hurdles to the road construction projects in this region.
According to State Panchayat and Rural Development Minister, Ram Vichar Yadav, “The Naxals are hampering development work in the region. They threaten people to not be involved in any such activities and if they do so, they would be killed.”
The Naxals who claim to be representing the cause of downtrodden and backward people, do not want Bastar region developed. With this objective they are putting blocks against development projects.
The government has allotted Rs.1700 crore access budget for the developmental projects of the region.
The Union Surface Transport Ministry has allotted Rs 7,300 crore for the construction of over 5,000 kilometres of roads in 25 Naxal affected districts.
But most of the projects have remained in papers.
Senior Political Scientist Mahendra Karna pointed out “They (Naxals) have destroyed health, education, drinking water facilities in the region.”
Though villages in most parts of the country were connected through the Prime Minister Gram Sadak Yojana, Bastar has been lagging behind due to the Naxals.
The pro-poor schemes like Rozgar Guarantee Yojana (Employment Schemes) were also not able to reach the people due to Naxals.
Though claiming that they have the interest of the poor, in reality the Maoists want the people to remain poor and uneducated to unable them to continue to exploit the natural wealth and enroll the poor in Naxal ranks. (ANI)
- Chhattisgarh probes engineer's donation to Maoists - Feb 21, 2011
- Fear of Maoists blocks road projects in Chhattisgarh - Dec 11, 2011
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Maoists hold up road construction in Chhattisgarh - Oct 19, 2009
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh - Feb 12, 2012
- Funds no problem for Maoist-hit areas: Jairam Ramesh - Jan 16, 2012
- Chhattisgarh BJP wooing tribals in violence-hit Bastar - Jun 10, 2012
- Collectors in Maoist areas want to push rural roads project: Ramesh (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- Is there a need for a fresh mandate to curb the Maoists? - May 21, 2010
- Tribals should unite to fight Maoism: BJP MP - Jan 04, 2011
- Development must to fight Maoists: Jairam Ramesh - Nov 19, 2011
- Maoists hold up development in Bastar - Mar 26, 2010
- Centre to continue two-pronged approach to contain Naxals: Chidambaram - Apr 23, 2010
- Chattisgarh tribals learn to use the toilet - Dec 05, 2010
- Chhattisgarh assesses rural development, skips rebel areas - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,