Maoists blow up a school in JharkhandApril 20th, 2009 - 3:45 pm ICT by ANI
Giridih (Jharkhand), Apr 20 (ANI): The Maoists bombed a school in Kiukra village of Giridih District in Jharkhand on late Sunday night.
The four-roomed school was used as a shelter by the security forces for four days during the combing operations last week, ahead of the second phase elections in Jharkhand on April 23.
According to police officials, a group of around 12-15 armed Maoists put dynamites in the middle of the school premises under Pirtant police station and blasted the building.
Apparently, the building was destroyed to prevent security forces from using it in the future.
In the last month, the Naxalites have caused significant damage to the government properties in the state. This was the 15th government building to be destroyed by them in five districts within this month.
The Naxals, to show their strong presence in the village have also stuck posters warning the people not cast their votes in Giridih Lok Sabha constituency.
The Giridih constituency will go to polls in the second phase of elections along with seven other seats. (ANI)
- Jharkhand panchayat polls: Maoists fire at voters - Dec 13, 2010
- Maoists blow up culvert in Bihar district, one killed - Nov 14, 2010
- Maoists blow up school in Bihar - Feb 15, 2011
- Naxals blow up school building in Jharkhand - Nov 24, 2009
- Chidambaram says two-pronged strategy will continue to solve Naxalite problem - Dec 07, 2010
- Over 67 percent votes cast in Jharkhand panchayat polls - Dec 13, 2010
- Maoists attack police vehicle, bridge, school in Jharkhand - Nov 30, 2009
- 67 percent polling, CRPF trooper killed in Jharkhand (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Maoists blast school building in Bihar's Gaya District - Mar 16, 2011
- Maoists threaten poor villagers against organising weekly markets - Jan 16, 2010
- Maoists blast bridge, call for poll boycott in Bihar - Nov 15, 2010
- Save schools during Bihar polls: rights body - Sep 08, 2010
- Maoists kill one in West Bengal, damage railway tracks in Bihar - Sep 14, 2010
- 17 landmines recovered in Jharkhand - Aug 09, 2011
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Jharkhand - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: blow up, elections, government properties, Lok Sabha, maoists, naxalites, police officials, police station, polls, posters, presence, sabha constituency, school premises, second phase, security forces