Manmohan to meet Myanmar’s Prime Minister in SingaporeNovember 19th, 2007 - 10:57 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Nov 19 (ANI): Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be meeting his Myanmarese counterpart Thein Sein on the sidelines of the 6th India-ASEAN Summit and the 3rd East Asia Summit in Singapore.
The meeting will be a crucial one as it is the first high-level interaction between the two countries after Buddhists monks in Yangoon led a huge pro-democracy movement, followed by the brutal repression of the protests by the military junta, leading to a worldwide condemnation.
Singh’s meeting with Sein will be closely watched by international diplomats and media, following New Delhi’s reluctance to denounce the military regime there.
During a recent bilateral meeting between Indian Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee and his Myanmarese counterpart U Nyan Win in New York, India had expressed concern at the current situation there, noting that as a close and friendly neighbour, India hoped to see peace, prosperity and stability in Myanmar.
India had also expressed hope that the process of national reconciliation and political reform, initiated by the military junta, would be taken forward expeditiously.
Singh, who is scheduled to leave for Singapore on Monday to attend the ASEAN Summit and the East Asia Summit, will also be meeting Chinese premier Wen Jiabao, Prime Minister of Japan Yasuo Fukuda and Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Bin Ahmad Badawi. (ANI)
- Indian PM reaches Singapore (Lead) - Nov 19, 2011
- India steps up ASEAN diplomacy, Singapore PM on way - Jul 09, 2012
- India eyes trade, connectivity during PM's Myanmar visit - May 25, 2012
- PM lands in Bali - Nov 17, 2011
- PM returns home from Bali and Singapore - Nov 20, 2011
- Suu Kyi told PM about `difficulties' - May 30, 2012
- Nehru spirit prevails as Manmohan lands in Singapore (Second Lead) - Nov 19, 2011
- Manmohan Singh heads home after 3-nation Asian tour - Oct 30, 2010
- Manmohan Singh leaves for Singapore - Nov 19, 2011
- Manmohan leaves for Singapore - Nov 19, 2011
- India to host ministers of Mekong-Ganga countries - Dec 05, 2011
- Singapore opened new horizons for India: PM - Nov 20, 2011
- Manmohan heads East to Bali and Singapore - Nov 16, 2011
- Myanmar could be India's next-door energy supplier: Chinese expert - May 25, 2012
- Manmohan in Hanoi for ASEAN, East Asia summits (Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: ahmad badawi, asean summit, brutal repression, counterpart, crucial, east asia summit, expeditiously, India, international diplomats, level interaction, malaysian prime minister, military junta, myanmar, New Delhi, premier wen jiabao, prime minister manmohan singh, prime minister of japan, singapore, yangoon