Manmohan Singh to reach Dibrugarh on Tuesday, postpones Diphu visitApril 6th, 2009 - 4:44 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Apr 6 (ANI): Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is scheduled to attend an election rally at Dibrugarh on Tuesday.
An Assam Pradesh Congress Committee spokesman informed that Singh will arrive in the town at 11.30 a.m. to campaign for the party candidate, former Union Minister Paban Singh Ghatowar.
The constituency is going to polls in the second phase of election on April 23.
Singh, who was earlier scheduled to address an election rally at Diphu in Karbi Anglong on Tuesday, postponed his visit due to security reasons.
The decision to postpone the visit came after militant outfit, Karbi Longri N.C.Hills Liberation Front (KLNLF) called for a 36-hour shut-down in the twin hill districts of Karbi Anglong and North Cachar from Monday evening.
The KLNLF, which has been waging an armed battle for “self determination” of the Karbi people, has called for the shut-down in protest of the government’s negative response towards the outfit’s desire to hold talks.
Another date for Diphu visit would be set up later.
The two districts NC Hills and Karbi Anglong, which constitute the Autonomous District parliamentary constituency, will go to polls in the first phase on April 16. (ANI)
- PM to address public meeting in Dibrugarh today - Apr 07, 2009
- Assam terror outfit disbands - Dec 14, 2011
- Three troopers killed in ambush in Assam - Apr 02, 2011
- 65-70 percent polling recorded in Assam - Apr 04, 2011
- Militant's surrender brings new hope for peace in northeast - Feb 19, 2010
- Four CRPF personnel killed in Assam encounter - Apr 02, 2011
- Nomination for first phase of Assam polls ends today - Mar 17, 2011
- Karbi militants behind forest officials' abduction: Minister - Mar 05, 2012
- Peace Accord with Black Widow rebel faction soon: Chidambaram - Jan 24, 2012
- Seven abducted from power plant in Assam - Jun 10, 2012
- Abducted forest officials still untraced - Mar 04, 2012
- Centre's efforts to herald new peace in northeast - Mar 01, 2010
- Twin explosions in Assam, marrow miss for Kamrup Express - Apr 13, 2009
- 4 Kuki militants nabbed with arms in Assam - Sep 13, 2012
- Ex-Karbi militant arrested in Assam with arms - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: assam, autonomous district, c hills, cachar, congress committee, dibrugarh, election rally, liberation front, manmohan, manmohan singh, negative response, parliamentary constituency, party candidate, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, second phase, security reasons, self determination, spokesman, union minister