Manmohan Singh terms Meira Kumar’s election as a historic momentJune 3rd, 2009 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 3 (ANI): Terming Meira Kumar’s election as momentous in the nation’s history, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh on Wednesday congratulated her after she was unanimously elected Speaker of the 15th Lok Sabha.
“Madam Speaker, it’s my proud privilege to greet you respectfully on behalf of the government and the people to country for being elected to be the Speaker of this august house. It is in many ways a historic occasion as for the first time a women has been elected that too a women from the Dalit community,” Dr. Singh said.
With pride, he said, “By electing you, we pay homage to the womanhood of our country.”
Remembering Kumar’s father and former Deputy Prime Minister, the late Babu Jagjivan Ram for his contribution to the nation, he said, “She is the embodiment of all the qualities of the leader.”
“You have a distinguished record of service to the country. I am sure this knowledge wisdom and experience will hold you in good stead in dealing with your responsibilities,” he added.
Assuring full cooperation on behalf of his government, he said, “Full cooperation would be accorded to you in discharging your duties.”
Leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee, Leader of the Opposition LK Advani, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) MP Basudev Acharya and Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee also welcomed her unanimous election as Speaker.
Kumar’s name was proposed by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and seconded by Advani besides leaders of several political parties.
Pro-tem Speaker Manikrao Gavit announced the decision of the House. (ANI)
- Gavit takes over as Pro-tem Speaker, Parliament members take oath - Jun 01, 2009
- Prime Minister hopes for "new beginning" - Jun 01, 2009
- No partycracy in house, says Mamata in first assembly speech - May 30, 2011
- 15th Lok Sabha starts, PM hopes for 'new beginning' (Afternoon Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- Text of PM's speech in Lok Sabha during debate on corruption - Aug 25, 2011
- Next Lok Sabha likely to begin on June 2 - May 19, 2009
- First session of 15th Lok Sabha to begin tomorrow - May 31, 2009
- Manikrao Gavit named Lok Sabha protem speaker - May 30, 2009
- India gets its first woman speaker in Meira Kumar (Lead) - Jun 03, 2009
- 15th Lok Sabha's first session begins on Monday - Jun 01, 2009
- Karia Munda is deputy speaker of Lok Sabha - Jun 08, 2009
- Woman power: MPs get dose of Speaker Meira Kumar's anger - Mar 08, 2011
- Indian parliament elects its first woman speaker, Meira Kumar (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2009
- Manohar elected new speaker of Andhra assembly - Jun 04, 2011
- Harmohinder Chatha is Haryana assembly speaker - Oct 28, 2009
Tags: acharya, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress leader, deputy prime minister, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, full cooperation, knowledge wisdom, leader of the opposition, Lok Sabha, madam speaker, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, meira kumar, pranab mukherjee, proud privilege, sonia gandhi, trinamool congress, unanimous election