Manmohan Singh takes oath as PM along with 19 cabinet ministersMay 22nd, 2009 - 8:44 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 22 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil administered oath of office and secrecy to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with 19 Cabinet ministers.
The 76-year-old, soft-spoken economist is the first Prime Minister since post-independence after Jawaharlal Nehru to be returned to office after completing a full term.
Senior Congress leader Pranab Mukherjee, NCP chief Sharad Pawar, A K Antony, P Chidambaram, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, former Chief Ministers S M Krishna, Ghulam Nabi Azad, and Veerappa Moily were inducted in the Cabinet.
Kamal Nath, Sushilkumar Shinde, S Jaipal Reddy, Meira Kumar, Vayalar Ravi, Murli Deora, Kapil Sibal, B K Handique, Ambika Soni, Anand Sharma and C P Joshi also took oath as Cabinet Ministers.
Mukherjee is likely to retain finance portfolio, which he got as additional charge towards the end of the tenure of the outgoing government.
The names of Krishna and Kamal Nath are being mentioned for External Affairs Ministry. Chidambaram and Antony are expected to retain home and defence respectively.
Today’s swearing-in would be followed by an expansion of the Council of Ministers on May 26. The expansion would include Cabinet Ministers, Ministers of State (MoS) with independent charge as well as other Ministers of State.
National Conference leader Farooq Abdullah, Mukul Wasnik, Vilas Muttemwar figure in the list of names, who will likely find place on Tuesday in the expanded Cabinet.
The Congress would also be looking to bring the DMK around by then so as to also include its representatives in the Cabinet.
The grand swearing-in ceremony, which started around 6:30 p.m., took place in Ashoka Hall of the Rashtrapati Bhavan where President Pratibha Patil administered the oath of office and secrecy to Dr Singh and his council of ministers.
The first session of the newly constituted Lok Sabha is expected to begin from June 2, and is likely to continue till June 10. (ANI)
- Government's top priority will be restoring economy: PM - May 22, 2009
- Manmohan Singh calls first Cabinet meet today - May 23, 2009
- 19 ministers to be sworn in - May 22, 2009
- Cabinet reshuffle today, major changes in portfolios expected - Jan 19, 2011
- 19 cabinet ministers in Manmohan Singh's A-team (Second Lead) - May 22, 2009
- Manmohan shuffles ministry, focus on economy, governance (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
- Ajit Singh sworn-in as cabinet minister (Second Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Pradeep Kumar sworn in as CVC - Jul 14, 2011
- Something old, something new in recast Team Manmohan (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Manmohan shuffles ministers but pack of cards is old - Jan 19, 2011
- PM, Sonia to pay last respects to Khandu in Itanagar - May 06, 2011
- Jostling for cabinet berths in Mumbai ahead of swearing-in - Nov 11, 2010
- Speculation on cabinet reshuffle intensifies - Jun 27, 2011
- Manmohan Singh is India's PM again; 19 others in A-team (Night Lead, with updated information) - May 22, 2009
- PM, 19 cabinet ministers to take oath in first lot - May 22, 2009
Tags: ambika soni, anand sharma, external affairs ministry, ghulam nabi azad, jaipal reddy, jawaharlal nehru, kamal nath, kapil sibal, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, meira kumar, murli deora, p chidambaram, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, sharad pawar, sushilkumar shinde, trinamool congress chief, vayalar ravi, vilas muttemwar